Author Topic: Commi Wood Lathe  (Read 8609 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Commi Wood Lathe
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
Last summer I did a little work for a free lathe. It's a made in China Cummins tool sale gem:o)

First thing that had to go was the metric spindle. It didn't match anything. I pulled it out and made one with a 1" - 8 thread.

This let me mount my fancy made in china Grizzly 4 jaw wood lathe chuck on it. It is much nicer to use now! Note the flimsy looking Banjo tool holder.

That is the next to be upgraded. Both the banjo and the tail stock tighten up from underneath. If you get them too close to one another the handles hit each other making it difficult to operate:o( I started by making a eccentric shaft turned between centers. I then made the end pretty.

A rectangular frame was weld up and I surface ground the bottom. The tool holder portion bolts on so it can be moved front to back.

My welds turned out nice:o)

Here is the whole thing on my lathe. It moves easily and locks up tight. I'll be making some fancy brass ends for the handle. That and a splash of paint and the banjo will be done.

I'm setting up to turn some wood bowls. I needed a face plate so I made one :D It measures 6" in diameter.

Next on the list is a better tail stock. Stay tuned:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: Commi Wood Lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »
I also made a Longworth chuck. Mine is a 5 jaw self centering chuck made out of 1/2" Baltic birch ply wood. It is used to chuck up a bowl to face off the bottom after you have the inside and outside finished.

I found the plans on the internet. You can see them Here and Here It was pretty easy to lay out and cut the arcs with a plunge router and a trammel that I made out of a piece of plywood. I'll post some pictures next time I use it.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »
Wes

Very nice. I especially like that 5 jaw chuck, looks like you made a real fine job of it. Those welds aren't too shabby either.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline philf

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:55:45 AM »
All well and good Wes but what about your Penny Farthing? We need an  :update:

:beer:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:01:30 AM »
Penny will get an update soon:o) I about have the house projects tamed. Got to keep the Misses happy :D

A couple weeks ago I made a small goblet on my wood lathe. I've been doing little projects trying to learn how all these hand tools work.

I'm getting better:O)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:34:29 AM »
A couple weeks ago I made a small goblet on my wood lathe. I've been doing little projects trying to learn how all these hand tools work.

Looks like you are getting the hang of it, nice turning  :thumbup: :thumbup:

I used to do a lot of woodturning, I found the hardest tool to get used to was the Skew Chisel, I never really mastered it, but when I did use it right it gave a beautiful finish. My favourite tool was a 3/8" bowl gouge with the flutes ground back, used that for nearly everything, bowls, platters, other stuff.

One thing I loved doing was glueing squares/cubes of contrasting woods together and then turning them into a plate or bowl, gives a really unique looking piece.

Seeing your work makes me want to bring my woodturning lathe into my new workshop ( when I've built it ) at the moment it resides in my dad's wood working workshop.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
Playing with my lathe. I'm making a little saucer for my wife. The longworth chuck works great!!!

I'll coat it with walnut oil and she can use it.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline micktoon

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »
  Hi Wes , nice fixes on the lathe there and nice job of the chuck and face plate too  :clap: :clap: :thumbup: The gobblet and saucer you made look good to me too.
  Cheers Mick.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:30:45 AM »

Hi Wes thanks for all the details of the Longworth  Chuck, a very ingenious design, must add to my to do list.
                               Cheers David