Author Topic: Tesla Disk Turbine  (Read 9811 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Tesla Disk Turbine
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:28:27 PM »
I made this ten years ago on my then new Gingery lathe.
 I had to make a radial milling attachment for the lathe to do it, so it was a more involved project than just the turbine itself.
I'd do the turbine again quite differently now, but I was just learning then.
Well, I shouldn't say that. I'm still just learning!   :coffee:

Here is the finished disk turbine.

Milling the disk on a radial milling attachment I made for the Gingery lathe.

Milling a disk port

Milling a stator scroll for trying the turbine as a compressor.
Notice I can mount my lathe faceplate in the rotary mill attachment.
The lathe arbor has been changed to a milling spindle in the headstock.

Finished scroll with rotor.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Tesla Disk Turbine
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »
I'd do the turbine again quite differently now, but I was just learning then.
Well, I shouldn't say that. I'm still just learning!
I started my apprenticeship 46 years ago and I am still learning.

Shortly after being accepted as an apprentice, I asked Herr Meister Muller what the difference was between an apprentice, a journeyman, and a master machinist.  His answer was wonderful:

An apprentice, he makes a mistake and knows not what to do.  A journeyman, he makes a mistake and repair it he can.  A master sees the mistake before he makes it and avoids it.

I doubt that I will ever truly qualify as a master under that definition...

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »
Lovely work on the stator.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:41:17 PM »
brill work  :D

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »
Thank you guys very much!  :wave:
Steve

Offline DavidF

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »
I'm not just impressed with the tesla, but everything. The lathe, the milling attachment, even the big pile of chips. But what I really want to know is how you found the time to do it all?

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:00:59 PM »
I was working at a job I didn't particularly liked at the time -- high level software technical support. Very nerve wracking when whole factories are stopped over a software issue. And to decompress and get my mind off of it I bought this little book by a guy named Dave Gingery about making a charcoal furnace. I read it cover to cover, and got hooked. I'd never done machining before, or casting. I built the Gingery lathe, piece by piece, every evening and weekends when I could. It took the best part of a winter. But I learned a huge amount from that.

I also bought all of the other Gingery books, and built many of the lathe accessories. It wasn't a long step to realizing that there were things in common between a lathe and a horizontal mill. They are really the same thing, except you have a Z axis travel. So instead of building the Gingery milling machine, I started to think about how I could convert the lathe to a milling machine. Well it's very easy with this particular lathe because the spindle is so simple and easy to remove. I had already started to make spindles with fixtures cast onto them, rather than screwed onto them. This actually produces extremely precise, repeatable, and stable lathe accessories. When i want to add a faceplate I replace whatever spindle I have in the lathe with the faceplate spindle. Likewise the 3 jaw chuck. And naturally you can make a milling spindle.

Then I though, well as long as I have all these workholding spindles, why not make a lathe type vertical slide milling attachment that can accept those? And to make those slides, why not re-use or modify the same wooden patterns I used to make the lathe slides. And ball handles, etc.

Basically you start to get into interchangeable parts, and you already have the patterns for them! And all the spindle fixtures are interchangeable. Need a rotary table? Use the faceplate spindle. If that isn't quite right for some reason, cast another faceplate using the existing pattern, but with a shorter or thicker spindle, or whatever you need.

So one thing leads to another and all your work is additive -- builds on what you have already done or re-uses parts you already made. So it actually doesn't take as much time as it might seem to someone else looking at it from afar. You've got a library of patterns that can be re-used or quickly modified, and it used to take me about an hour to ram up a mold, run the foundry, pour and cool the part and break it out -- after I had some practice at it. You can do a lot with a small amount of time, and everything you make for tooling makes the next thing easier to make.

My first faceplate was a plumbing flange on a piece of pipe. I trued the face of that, then bolted my newly cast rough real faceplate to it and trued that. Then I replaced the plumbing faceplate with the real one and moved on. A lathe builds itself. And likewise if you follow this method, an entire machine shop can build itself.

I would rate that whole experience as one of the most important in my life. It was a gaining of personal capability. And I think that's what we need more of in these days when we are in danger of becoming helpless consumers, rather than capable individuals.

I apologize for going so far afield on what is really a simple straightforward question. I guess the real answer is, I just found the time, because I got fascinated by something.

Steve

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »
I'm not just impressed with the tesla, but everything. The lathe, the milling attachment, even the big pile of chips. But what I really want to know is how you found the time to do it all?

David

If he had to take time out to make a list of all the things that he didn't do in order to make that he wouldn't have had time to make it.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »
I didn't watch TV, for sure.

Edit: out of curiosity I just looked it up. According to Nielsen, the average adult watches 1768 hours of television per year.

That's a lotta swarf!  :dremel:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:54:27 PM by vtsteam »
Steve