Author Topic: Dial Indicator Repair  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Dial Indicator Repair
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »
 I have a Chinese KD Tools Dial Indicator that was dropped. It has become stiff to operate normally, but I can still move the plunger the full travel, it is just too stiff to return to the extended position via it's own spring pressure. I have purchased another, but I would like to fix this one if I can.
The back comes off to reposition the mounting lug. I have removed the back and inspected the mechanism but cannot see anything bent or twisted. I secured the top 3/8” mounting bar in my mill collet and the top tube unscrews but doesn’t free it up. Does the bottom tube on the indicator tip end unscrew also? I put that end in the collet but could not unscrew it. Is it repairable? Long Island Indicator will not touch it. Anyone know of a downloadable parts breakdown?
Also, when I had the top tube unscrewed, I noticed a knurled screw in the top end of the indicator plunger. What is that for? Are there attachments/accessories that screw into the plunger?
If not repairable to a useable condition, what other uses could it be put to besides a paperweight?
 Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline krv3000

Re: Dial Indicator Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »
hi go to my post on haw to fix them you will only no if the plunger rod is bent by dismanteling the hol thing as for the nurld nut on the top thats for ataching the plunger reset handel i will post a pic so you will get the jist of it