Author Topic: Wood carvings  (Read 22272 times)

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Re: Wood carvings
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »
Mick,

The craftsmanship is awe-inspiring - you're maybe revealing that you are, to wood, what Rob Wilson is to metal !

But most especially - thanks for taking us on the journey with you. 

cheers / Dave    :beer:

Offline kayz1

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »

Most eggs-er-lant work Mike...and that base is a nice touch too.
    Lyn.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
 :jaw: :jaw:

wow.

That is really amazing.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:  EXCELLENT Mick  ,,,,,,,,,, job well done  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ya a canny wood butcher  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline micktoon

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
  Thanks for all the kind comments lads  :bow: :bow: :thumbup: , I am glad people found it of interest as its not really the normal kind of topic on Modders. I have enjoyed doing the skull and pleased with the way it turned out. Dave DMIOM , that was a complement indeed being compared to Robs work :drool: , I wouldn't go as far as that myself but I think seeing things the quality of Rob's and other peoples work on here and other sites inspires others to have a go and get it as good as they can  :clap:.
  I am hoping that posting the stages of doing something like this will let other people see that where is a will there is a way and hopefully share the knowlege and inspire others to have a go too  :D.
  Its back to metal now ................I have been back to rebuilding my Harrison L5 today  :dremel: ................ I will be posting progress again soon in the tools section, a few people have been hinting and ribbing me at my lack of progress  :lol:

Cheers Mick.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 10:39:30 PM »
  Thanks for all the kind comments lads  :bow: :bow: :thumbup: , I am glad people found it of interest as its not really the normal kind of topic on Modders...

I have no problem with wood working on here. Esp, the type you have shown.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
hi brill work

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
Hi Mick, not been on here in ages and just read the updates of your skull. Super work mate, it really is!!
Chris

Offline micktoon

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »
  Hi Bob and Chris , thanks for the compliments  :thumbup: and glad the odd wood topic is ok Eric , my next project is starting soon ....photos will follow ............ I can tell Chris is thinking ....oh the mouse  :palm: sorry Chris thats not the next one but I have a little job to do on the wood lathe so might do the turning bit of the mouse then and get the photos of that part of mousing building then, I haven't forgot just never had the chance  :dremel:

Cheers Mick

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »
I did nearly post about the mouse. Once you make your tutorial - I promise, I'll make an effort to make one for my daughter so your efforts will used!!

Chris

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »

Well Mick this is much more interesting than restoring old lathes, she will definitely be in the back seat from now on.     
                This like a drug once you start. Brilliant work.

Cheers David

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 07:41:22 AM »
that looks great

Offline tekfab

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »
Its an ashtray , right ?     :)  :)  :)

Nah, really nice bit of work, i wish i had the patience to do something like that . 

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 02:31:19 AM »
Brilliant job :bow:, I think the colour of skull v base really enhances wot was a great bit of 'butchering" to start with :thumbup:.  Makes me regret passing my gouges onto a boatbuilder now!

I like the way you're doing this from flat pictures off of t'interweb.  I was doing a similar thing the other week for sketching figures of people, I probably used the same pictures of the "Skellington" as wot you did.  The beloved (who's an artist) says I should draw figures from life to see the shapes, I find, once I can see the mechanics underneath it all, from 2D drawings, I can see the shape that way in my head. 

I'm starting to believe that the male and female "spacial awareness lobe" is wired up the opposite way round!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:56:46 AM by RossJarvis »
Procrastination; now is that an art or a craft skill?

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »
Looks good are you going to build it up with plastercene to see what he / she looked like?   :D

Offline sparky961

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
I don't know how I missed this the first time around ... or maybe I didn't ... but it occurs to me at present that someone needs to give Mick a medal for his patience!

If it were me, I'd have probably spent a few hundred hours designing fixtures to hold the part for CNC milling, rather than taking the same amount of time to do it by hand...

:)

Offline angus

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 10:53:01 AM »
i wish i could mangle wood like that