Author Topic: Simple machine skates  (Read 5148 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Simple machine skates
« on: August 23, 2018, 01:01:03 AM »
I need to move 1 metric ton and bit heavier or lighter machines ocassionally.

I build a toe jack probably two years ago, now I got impulse to build a skates.

I decided to build longer kickbike types and lowest practical. I am using truck wheels and UPE beam, I had a about one metre pice ling around, I cut it half. Due height of the beams does not allow wheel to clear the web, it must have a cutout.

Soaked the parts two days in food grade vinegar to remove rust and scale. Then I used rotabroach cutter to drill holes for the wheel axles.

Rest is easier, just needed holes to clear the wheels. I don't have a plasma cutter. I drilled 18 mm holes into corners and used bandsaw to cut the excess and 12 mm mill to clean them up.

I still need to turn spacers both sides of the the wheels and turn grooves for circlips or something to keep the axles from falling off. Fit is bit tighter than sliding fit, it needs securing

Pekka

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Simple machine skates
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:17:57 AM »
Golly Pekka,
      You had me wondering just how big this was going to be. Using truck wheels?  :Doh:

Then I looked at the pics and solved my dilemma.   :lol:
      Here in OZ truck wheels to me would be something like 24" diameter plus tire. 

Regards,

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 02:25:52 AM »
John I think that they are PALLET truck wheels / rollers

Nice job Pekka  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 06:00:36 AM »
English is my third language....you can blame me.

These things gets me off guard sometimes, specially with terms like tracktor trailer...I am thinkking a trailer behind John Deere or other africultural implement and the other guy might be talking about something more road going vessel.

Andrew is right, I was refering to pallet truck rollers, about 75 mm dia, length about 70 mm.

Follw up plan (one of these winters) is to build "rotating dolly"

Castor wheels or a truck is not easy to carry load, be stable and turn easily. Very tempted to buy a castor wheels ready made, but they seem to pretty expensive for my limited use.

Pekka

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:33:30 PM »
Pekka,

Many moons ago when I worked with designing packaging machine plants we often used this kind of help when having to move heavy machinery:
https://verktygsboden.se/rullblock/rullspett-3000-kg?vat=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Mmu8NiD3QIVhswYCh0MrwsKEAQYAyABEgKVPfD_BwE
You can see the swedish name of it in the link but I have no clue to what it is called in english, google translates suggestion "roller skewer" is far off target I think.

Anyways, the rollers on this one are bearings, probably deep groove bearings and it works as shown for 3 metric tonnes. The model I used had a substantial axle and cast iron rollers which is easy to make providing one have the CI bar of course.

So bearings or full metal rollers is my idea for your skates, also for the steerable one.

Just another idea really.

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 02:24:27 PM »
Thank you

This one?

It's called (among others) Roller Crowbar or roller pry bar. Those are pretty good in some ocasions with other equipment.

That page had plenty of java and other scripts, 9 together on fast inspection. Google script record!

Those are cam rollers/followers or sometimes called track rollers. better ones have roller bearing inside and outer ring is extra thick. Normal roller bearing outer rings are way too thin to support nominal loads without support (thicker outer ring or close fitting wheel). Works ok when derated.

Pekka

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 04:22:33 PM »
Yup, exactly that one. Thanks for the naming, I didn't know that.

Having worked with it I know it works well and using one of those in one end and simple skates in the other it is quite easy to move hefty stuff round corners.

Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline mc

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 10:04:35 AM »
I made a set of machine skates a few year ago. One of the best things I done, as it's surprising just how handy they are to have.

Here's my castor one, although I've still never made a handle for it -

I used a big thrust bearing, which I machined a groove to help locate it on the base plate -

And welded a stub onto the rotating plate, which has a bolt/big washer on the underside to hold everything together-

And I've got two of these-

I just welded the axles in for simplicity. I did consider drilling/tapping them to accept retaining bolts, but if I ever do need to dismantle them, the weld can be ground of.

They were all built from 1/2" flat plate, as I happened to have a big sheet of it lying around at the time.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
Very good.

How does the four wheel dolly turns under the load?

Pekka

Offline mc

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »
Very good.

How does the four wheel dolly turns under the load?

Pekka

It turns fine.
I really need to weld a handle onto the pivot to help with steering and pulling/pushing, but it works well just wedging a suitable lever/bit bar in when steering is needed. Made moving my big Shizouka into place easy.

I just checked, and I used a 51115 thrust bearing (75*100*19).

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 02:38:43 PM »
Thank you. I need four more wheels. I'm not going to bother with castors if that structure works. Probably the secret is to place wheels as close as possible to each others as possible to ease turning.

Just took the beams out of vinegar, washed them and turned grooves into axles. I used standard washers and circlips.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »
I was not sure if standard washers would work with tapered sides. Looks bad, but works fine. Plan "B" was to mill pockets.

One axle needed press, others went with few taps by soft hammer.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 01:57:42 AM »
Pekka,
      No way would I blame you, first off you have three languages I have two (Good and Bad English).
      Your project looks good and more important It works for you.
  I recall the mechanics at work moving machinery using several lengths of steel pipe and rolling stuff across the floor with someone picking up the rearmost pipe and placing it in front.
   A real pain when it came to having to turn corners.

So whatever works,
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline JerryNotts

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 04:04:37 AM »
Pekka I think that would be calles a "toe jack. If in doubt look at your feet!
Jerry

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 04:08:26 AM »
  I recall the mechanics at work moving machinery using several lengths of steel pipe and rolling stuff across the floor with someone picking up the rearmost pipe and placing it in front.
   A real pain when it came to having to turn corners.

Yesh, that works when the bottom is flat, not too great if the bottom has notches/feets or is made of several parts. First instict is to put plywood, rollers strick to it (yes, I have tried like 15 years ago), easiest to put some carpet and just push and huff....plywood to patio carpet friction turned out to be pretty managable for few hundred kilograms.

Lifted the milling machine up for 150 mm to clear the bolts (they have been fited from bottom up), negotiated the shipping crate bottom out and lowered the mill on my new skates. Moves easy and stable.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 04:10:33 AM »
Pekka I think that would be calles a "toe jack. If in doubt look at your feet!
Jerry

Build some tome ago toe jack. That saw action last time Yesterday, absolutely great. Now I should make three more!
https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10987.msg136697.html#msg136697

Pekka