Author Topic: Splash / chip guard  (Read 4222 times)

Offline mechman48

Splash / chip guard
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:39:32 PM »
Hi all  :wave:
Have started to make swarf in anger now that I have got my garage coversion sorted.. sort of  :scratch: , I have noted that the guard in my mill ,as provided, is what I consider too small to see what I am doing although I'm sure it meets EU req'ts. I decided to improve on it so that I can see what is happening at the tool tip & also to give better splash protection when using coolant. I bought a sheet of 2mm acrylic sheet from a well known DIY store..rhymes with kicks?, measured & cut up a length plus ends that will fit the table. Not wanting to make it separate pieces I tried out a heat bending method using two pieces of angle iron & a heat gun set on high, to heat the end bends I set up the acrylic vertically & applied heat & with a bit of initial persuasion let gravity take over until I judged the right angle to be correct..by eye.. could have used a small level I suppose  :scratch: any how the first bend went over 90* so I had to reheat for a few sec's & lift back up supporting it whilst the acrylic cooled. The second bend used the same process only this time I stopped short of 90* ..result!  :clap:   I attached the whole assembly by making a cutout that goes around the vice &fixed at the ends using a couple of small right angle brackets with a couple of neomidi.. neodidiu..  :scratch:   :scratch: .. rare earth magnets! that stick to the table, I now have a splash /chip guard that runs the full length of the table & ends  :dremel: , I only now need to fix up a rear splash curtain & I am thinking of using some transparent vinyl (table protector) fixed to some sort of removeable hanger.

Will attempt to post pics but still haven't got my 'ead round the process.. yet

1st pic original guard followed by the end resulting guard..

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'