Author Topic: Pet hates!  (Read 12652 times)

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Pet hates!
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Web sites that advertise their wares expecting me to buy them and they don't have the decency to put the price on  :wack:

Really annoys me  :bang:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Pet hates!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:18:31 PM »
Second hand Machine Tool dealers with POA on their crap wares.

Metals4U who insist that black mild steel round is dearer than bright round size for size and want more for 3 metres than I pay for 7 locally.
John Stevenson

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:25:57 PM »
Second hand Machine Tool dealers with POA on their crap wares.
Get them here - most of them - here's one - not a single price - must be free  :lol:  http://erintools.co.za/ 
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:19:36 PM »
Hi

I have many pet hates and I'll be nice and not post most of them but here are a couple.

1. People that don't read their post's before posting.

2. People that jump into a post and ask a bunch of questions that were answered in the first post. Then they go on to make all kinds of suggestions on how to do something that the author clearly said that he didn't want to do in an earlier post.

:Doh: I'll be nice and stop there.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:29:54 AM »

Don

With me, it's misplaced apostrophes......  :lol:

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 02:03:16 AM »
Andy

I probably hate it just about as much as you do. English was always my worst subject in school. Many times when writing a post I will change it back and forth several times trying to see which way looks right. :scratch:

I am actually glad that you had enough balls' (?) to point that out to me. Now I will have to try and make an extra effort to figure them apostrophes (?) out.  :doh: :doh:

Cheers :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:04:06 AM »
People asking for technical information on a forum, then not even acknowledging let alone thanking the respondant

Hundreds of eBay listings from "PLC Center" all with the same logo instead of a picture clogging up searches for cnc kit!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:54:29 AM »
It was done tongue in cheek, Don, but I just couldn't resist. I'm OK with most apostrophes, but it's the exceptions to the (rather hazy) rules like its/it's, women's issues and children's toys which catch me out sometimes.

Anyhow, this is an engineering forum, not a learned literary society, and none of us seems to  have a problem deciphering what others are saying, however they express themselves.

Cheers,
Andy
Sale, Cheshire

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
google.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I genuinely dislike every aspect of it other than what it originally was, a straightforward search engine, obtaining revenue through a few ads.

Its latest foray into selling the books it attempted to co-opt by scanning whole libraries in the name of informational freedom without providing authorial copyright compensation or notification illustrates the hypocrisy, as does its continuing battle to prevent youtube downloading while soliciting the very same free video content for its commercial and promotional purposes. Why shouldn't you be able to freely download a video contributed to Youtube by someone else? Youtube doesn't say you can't but makes it impossible without specialized third party programs which must be constantly updated as it alters its own protection methods. 

Likewise Google books doesn not provide a simple means for downloading public domain material, as does something like Project Gutenberg. It intentionally makes downloading difficult. The intent being to keep the reader online, in its interface, being tracked, and connecting that information via cookies and search preferences by profiling and for sale to any marketers and spammers interested enough to buy it.

Well, apologies for ranting, I shouldn't, just that an open ended topic like this gets me going in a way I don't want to. Actually it's a beautiful day outside, I'm going to go take advantage of it.....

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »

Misused apostrophes and people who refer to other people with "that" instead of the proper "who".
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »
Marv, in Br. Eng. at least, "that" is fine as a substitute for "who".
For example, King James version of the Bible (John 8.7) ""He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone....."
I'm beginning to regret having lobbed the first one at Don  :(

Andy
Sale, Cheshire

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »

Misused apostrophes
Guilty as charged.
and people who refer to other people with "that" instead of the proper "who".
Guilty as charged in a LA court. Not so in an English court. Since Canada has closer ties to England than LA LA Land I'll take that as a not guilty.

Marv, in Br. Eng. at least, "that" is fine as a substitute for "who".
For example, King James version of the Bible (John 8.7) ""He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone....."
I'm beginning to regret having lobbed the first one at Don  :(

Andy

Not to worry Andy. This can be a learning experience for me and possibly others. I've had bigger stones than that (or is it who) thrown at me.

google.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I genuinely dislike every aspect of it other than what it originally was, a straightforward search engine, obtaining revenue through a few ads.
Well, apologies for ranting, I shouldn't, just that an open ended topic like this gets me going in a way I don't want to. Actually it's a beautiful day outside, I'm going to go take advantage of it.....

I am 100% in agreement with you on google and many other sites. They want to give you something for free but they make it next to impossible to find the right link to click. Most of the links that you click take you off to some other page instead of the download you were looking for.

I hope that you have been outside enjoying the nice February Sun. It has been a beautiful day here.  :D

It was done tongue in cheek, Don, but I just couldn't resist. I'm OK with most apostrophes, but it's the exceptions to the (rather hazy) rules like its/it's, women's issues and children's toys which catch me out sometimes.

Anyhow, this is an engineering forum, not a learned literary society, and none of us seems to  have a problem deciphering what others are saying, however they express themselves.

Cheers,
Andy

When I was in school and English class rolled around this is basically what I told the teacher. I was just satisfied to tell someone to go to hell and I wasn't worried if their participles were dangling or not while they got roasted. As long as I got the message across is all I was worried about.  :hammer:

Just to make it clear. There is a difference between a "spelling error" and a "typing error". We all make spelling errors, some more than others. We can use a spell checker but even that will not catch all. Reading a post before posting will only catch a few of the spelling errors. It should catch all of the typing errors which translates into spelling errors if left unchecked.

OK guys. Give it your best shot. If I don't get a few hits I'll think that you don't care.  :lol:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Don ,I am guilty on all charges   :Doh:

Just a few things boil my piss , one I cant mention , the others are Airports and when they take a perfectly good old crusty museum and fill it with interactive plastic bollocks .

Rob

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 05:06:42 PM »

fill it with interactive plastic bollocks .

Rob

Doubt if they had much choice.

All the real ones long since gone in the mincer .....

And we've been scoffing 'em .....     :drool:   :drool:

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline fcheslop

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »
The TAX man,you even have to do all the work for them oh then the VAT man :Doh:
History is scarcely capable of preserving the memory of anything except myths

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »
My wife say's " you" didn't do this, then barks " who around here should do this" Me!  Go Figure.

I once punched a guy in the mouth dressed in a wife beater shirt  for not saying thank you after i had opened the door for him,his wife and kids. As they trampled through the door and beyond i stared hard at the guy for his rudeness, what sparked my aggressive act was his spotty kid son who said "looser" and continued to suck and slurp his Cola through a straw, I proceeded to walk back through the doorway caught up with the father taped him on the shoulder and proceeded to placed 230Lbs square on his chin and upper torso, that was for his son. In my book its all about responsibility.

As you can see i hate irresponsibility.  :ddb:
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »

As of today I have a new pet hate. Photobucket.  :bang: :bang: :bang:

I never have posted many photos with links to photobucket. I doubt if I will be posting any new ones any time soon. I will log in periodically to keep it active so any links I have stay active.

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 08:02:02 AM »

Don

I'm with you Don!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sparky961

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »

I never have posted many photos with links to photobucket. I doubt if I will be posting any new ones any time soon. I will log in periodically to keep it active so any links I have stay active.

Don

What's the issue with Photobucket?  I have no allegiance to it, but it has been the only place I've posted pictures for here.  At the time I started, it seemed like everyone else was using it, so that's what I went with.  If there's something going wrong with it now, I'd love to know.

Offline Deko

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 01:03:29 PM »
I still ca'nt understand why you all want to keep your photos in a bucket !!!!!!  What if it rains ??? :palm:

Cheers Dek. :med:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »
I still ca'nt understand why

Was that apostrophe out of place on purpose Dek?  :poke:  :lol:

Pet hates... Yeah, I got a few too. But most of them can be ignored.

The main one (forum based) is huge amounts of text squashed up so close you can't read it properly cause you keep losing your place... It sends my eyes funny!  :bugeye:

Just my tuppence  :thumbup:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »
Ralph

I fully agree with you on not leaving any white space to make for easier reading. Never have had any problem reading your posts.

Another pet hate of mine is posters that will quote an entire long post (sometimes text and maybe 3 or 4 photos or more) and then just say "good job" or something similar for a reply.

When you get several posters doing that in the same thread it makes for pretty large and boring threads in a hurry.

Longest post that I have ever seen was just several days ago and consisted of text and 78 photos. I wonder how long it will be before someone quotes it and says "Good post ....."

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline Deko

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »
Ralph,  Buggerd if i know, was allways cr*p at inglish.  Just like to throw a few in here and there to make it look good. :(

Cheers Dek. :med:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »
The use of the term jig when  describing  a work holding device when it should be fixture :bang:

Rob

Offline krv3000

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
the wife when she must go shopin right that minit im convinst she nose what once you hav started sumthing its hard to stop aspshely when you is on the loo