Author Topic: What have i found?  (Read 7602 times)

Offline kayz1

What have i found?
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
Found in the bottom of the draw that has bits that came with my S/H lathe, was wrapped in that brown paper anti-rust
The sleeve is 50mm-ish and has a M6 thread part way down, What is it Please and do i need one? :scratch:

Almost forgot, the sleeve runs on a pair of bearings.

Offline philf

Re: What have i found?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
Found in the bottom of the draw that has bits that came with my S/H lathe, was wrapped in that brown paper anti-rust
The sleeve is 50mm-ish and has a M6 thread part way down, What is it Please and do i need one? :scratch:

Almost forgot, the sleeve runs on a pair of bearings.

Kayz1,

You've got one of these:

Do you need one? - probably not - I've had mine for 30 odd years and have never done anything with it (only let it go rusty!). I did have visions of using it as a high speed drill spindle but ........

I believe it was for some sort of textile machinery. Mine came from K R Whiston's which some may remember. Ken Whiston used to publish a regular catalogue (The Whiston's Cat) full of stock materials and fasteners and also lots of surplus electro-mechanical parts. It was only about 5 miles from me and I bought lots of useful bits and pieces - a lot that I've never used!

Cheers.

Phil.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:29:48 PM by philf »
Phil Fern

Offline kayz1

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »
Thanks Phil, at least i have one just in-case i ever need one even if i still do not have a clue what it is or what it is ment to do :scratch:
BUT! we both have one, so if anybody needs one WE have them in stock :thumbup:
 Lyn.

Offline kayz1

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »
Ow! Owww! almost forgot again, ( tis my age )
I can read some numbers on the side.
I did do a google but only came up with a bearing company.

(  INA   F-81346  )

( Germany  02/G10  )

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »

Kayz1,

You've got one of these:

SNIP

I believe it was for some sort of textile machinery. Mine came from K R Whiston's which some may remember. Ken Whiston used to publish a regular catalogue (The Whiston's Cat) full of stock materials and fasteners and also lots of surplus electro-mechanical parts. It was only about 5 miles from me and I bought lots of useful bits and pieces - a lot that I've never used!

Cheers.

Phil.

Hi there, Kayz1 and Phil,

I, too, have got one of those, in fact I might even have two!  I seem to remember I bought it (them) in case I decided to make a tool-post milling spindle.

I've also still got one of Ken Whiston's 'useful assortment of 100 carbon brushes' (used two), a box of 'assorted red fibre washers' (not many of those left), a box of mudguard washers in military tropical packing (used lots of those but you have to wash off the thick brown grease with white spirit) and a good stock of BSF nuts & bolts.

In its time, 'Whiston's Cat' was an excellent workshop resource for the hobbyist.

Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »
I recall Mr Whiston replying to me when I wanted a screwcutting chart for my (then) Pools Major lathe.

Norman

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »
His tag line was 'Have you seen my Cat?' with a picture of a moggy.

I seem to remember that he wanted to retire, but had great trouble selling the business. A fair amount of his stock went to Proops Brothers but when they fell out they traded independently. I bought nearly a ton of off cuts of special steels in large sections from one of the brothers, he was storing them in an underground car park under a block of council flats in North London, which is a long way from New Mills!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline philf

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »
His tag line was 'Have you seen my Cat?' with a picture of a moggy.

I seem to remember that he wanted to retire, but had great trouble selling the business. A fair amount of his stock went to Proops Brothers but when they fell out they traded independently. I bought nearly a ton of off cuts of special steels in large sections from one of the brothers, he was storing them in an underground car park under a block of council flats in North London, which is a long way from New Mills!

I remember the tag line now - thanks for reminding me. I thought I may have copies of the Cat somewhere but I must have binned them.

Kenneth Rowland Whiston did retire and his old staff ran the business for a few years. I'm not sure if he sold the business to the employees or if he gave it to them.

When I say 'his staff ran the business' I really mean they ran it into the ground. Without Ken's knowledge and enthusiasm it unfortunately didn't last very long.

I once went to his house in New Mills and had a guided tour of his very well equipped workshop. All his machines were three phase and were run off one inverter which connected to each machine via a multitude of toggle, rotary and foot switches, pots and relays.

I believe he was a member of Stockport Model Engineering Society.

Ken died in 1997 aged 83.

RIP.
Phil Fern

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
That's nothing I got one of these:-

Thingy by Anzaniste, on Flickr

Now what the devil is that? :scratch: :wave:
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.