Author Topic: Bonding Acrylic  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Bonding Acrylic
« on: March 03, 2013, 01:14:20 AM »
Anyone have experience bonding acrylic? I would like to make a water tight enclosure using acrylic but am unsure which product to use to bond the acrylic.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Bonding Acrylic
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:43:23 AM »
Hi Eric

I use this stuff, UK source but similar must be available in US.

http://www.shop4glue.com/polyweld-medium-thickness-plastic-weld-glue-solvent-cement-acrylic-abs-perspex-lucite-hips-adhesive-52-p.asp

I would guess any solvent weld adhesive formulated for acrylic/Perspex would be OK.

At one time at work I used some UV cured stuff that was very effective, but you would need the UV doo-dah to cook it ... probably not practical. ( Although if you wait long enough a fluorescent tube will do it, you just have to wait days rather than minutes ...  :scratch:  )

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »
Eric,

You rarely bond acrylic, you usually solvent weld it.  MEK is the most common solvent for "welding" acrylic, though acetone is also used.  Commercial solvent weld products are generally just solvent (MEK or acetone) with some percentage of acrylic dissolved to make them thicker.

It is essentially required that edges to be solvent welded be cut with a high-turn-speed (side-cutting) router bit.  Just about any other cutter will leave cracks along the edge of the cut that will destroy your work.  The edge needs to be about a dead smooth as possible.  If you are using "thin" solvent welder, it will wick in between the mated edges (just remember the polishing compound to clean up the areas where the solvent "hazes" nearby areas).  The resulting bond will be as strong as the acrylic itself.

I have had good luck with (it used to be WeldOn, but is now) SciGrip general plastic adhesive when I need to bond acrylic.  I have stayed away from cyanoacrylic (CA) adhesives as they generally have poor impact strength.  I am currently working a project where we are bonding ABS.  The ZAP brand of CA adhesives are surprisingly good.  A .44 inē bond area absorbed three 75 in-lb blows made at 120° increments quite nicely.  The same parts were then loaded into a vise where they underwent a 200 lb-in bending load for 30 minutes with no degradation.  Some of the very high-priced (and highly advertised) CA adhesives would have failed the impact load tests as if there was no adhesive in the joint!  (http://www.zapglue.com/)  The ZAP-CA products are generally available from hobby shops -- not industrial supply houses.

I hope this helps.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »
Ether does the job, but you risk anaesthetising yourself.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 04:25:38 PM »
My video housing was joined together with Ether
It was like a fusion weld very strong
John

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:35:22 AM »
MEK= Methyl Ethyl Ketone...

If you can get it...

I got some stuff from a local fab house but it was very pricey.. They were not supposed to sell it direct to the public. Not sure what it was, clear, colourless and no odour...Applied with a syringe to bond..

I mad a perspex cover to go over the belt drive on my mini mill...Even after years of rough handling it survives the use and abuse of the workshop..
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 05:37:19 PM »
I have some MEK. Use it for the epoxy I have for the CF work. hmmm....

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 06:31:50 PM »
MEK= Methyl Ethyl Ketone...

If you can get it...

I got some stuff from a local fab house but it was very pricey.. They were not supposed to sell it direct to the public. Not sure what it was, clear, colourless and no odour...Applied with a syringe to bond..

I mad a perspex cover to go over the belt drive on my mini mill...Even after years of rough handling it survives the use and abuse of the workshop..

MEK   ?? Easy enough to buy even now it seems.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-MEK-1L-can-1-Litre-1000ml-/280930596476?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item4168c4b67c

Thought the 'Elfins had got at it but apparently not .... er .. yet ??

I used to get it quite easily locally together with acetone in my 'long ago' model boat days ..

Used for glass-fibre ( fiber  for the US folk  :wave:   ) general purpose solvent.

Hmmm  glass-fibre .. I remember it well. Webbed fingers, toes , eyelids, bostin' to 'point Percy at the Porcelain' and terrified to go in case I spent the rest of eternity stuck to me wotsit ...   :palm:     ... made one hull and abandoned the idea ... sloshing about making PCB's is a bit messy but it's got nothing on glass-fibre ..

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 07:01:39 PM »
Dave, When using glass fibre, the real problem isn't getting stuck to the distinguishing mark of your sex; it's the itchy fibres on your fingers. At times like that, having a sympathetic partner  around the house can be a godsend. If alone, carefully pull down nether garments and sit on the pot like you did as a child.

Ditto if you have been chopping up chillies.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »
It was not the raw matting or the resin that got me .
It was the grinding dust
It gave me "spotty arms" after a few weeks i got used to it  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We were laminating race car body pannels
John

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »
When I weld acrylic together I use acetone I clean the pieces and just wet with acetone and lightly clamp together then let set overnight and then proceed in milling or machining the piece.
Here I'm welding 3/8 thick pieces to turn up a displacer chamber for a LTD engine.

Here the piece is rough milled ready to go to lathe to be finished up.

Has always worked very well for me except for when I mistakenly clamped to tight only needs to be clamped lightly.
Acetone is available at the local Walmart store in the paint dept.