Author Topic: Death of a parting tool  (Read 8079 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Death of a parting tool
« on: January 24, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »
Just finished feeding the pigs & sheep this morning, so about 7:30 and my builder says he needs the street lamp post ready for concreting in today, not next week as we'd planned due to the weather conditions. Only problem the original Victorian lamp post had been modified by some council in the past, from the standard 3" top collar to a welded on 6" flange set on heavy 2" square box section tube. Needs the flange cutting off and a 3" 'chunk' welded on to take a standard copper lamp head. Job obviously needs doing on the ground horizontal, not when concreted in. No hurry, but we're mixing the concrete now as also putting in footings for front gate pillar. OK I'll delay breakfast and get on with it !

Only bar stock of that sort of size was a length of 3" EN24 - not the best to weld to mild steel, but needs must .... mount in the lathe - skim a 2" length to clean it up, axially drill a 1.25" hole for a flexy conduit, start to part off. Going nicely using my favorite Sandvik insert style parting tool. I know I'm pushing my luck as it's only a 2mm wide tool but time is pressing - we get almost there - only 1/4" to go, and you KNOW what I'm going to say..... :doh:

Yes - I need to add £45 to the cost of erecting the lamp post - I need a new Sandvik 151.2-21-20 holder.

Finished the cut with a 1mm disk cutter in an angle grinder - and the job is up and working, but annoying - never did get breakfast :(
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

Re: Death of a parting tool
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
Bad luck on breaking the tool.... :dremel:
I'd have added on the cost of breakfast too, to the cost :)

or are you having to foot the bill? :lol:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:34:18 PM »
Its a bitch that no warning wham.
Heat or swarf not clearing?

Had exactly the same on favourite Iscar the other month, luckily got 10 or 11 others 6 permanently setup in QR tool holders. Must try one day that insert type you broke, i have in in Arno and Iscar.

Gone off Sandvik hard time tracking down tips required.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 06:36:18 PM »
Clumsy bastard.
John Stevenson

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:48:50 AM »
I know the feeling. Don't mind the insert, but when parting off tool holder goes cork screw..... :doh:

I still have same size parting off had a really nice Sandwik insert that came with parting off tool holder (20mm high) and it worked wonderfull, It wore out and I found Iscar GTN 2,1 mm inserts that were suposedly be as good....well not quite as good, but I still have half a box left.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:56:06 AM »
Bad luck on breaking the tool.... :dremel:
I'd have added on the cost of breakfast too, to the cost :)

or are you having to foot the bill? :lol:

Yep - all comes out of my pocket I'm afraid !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57:58 AM »
Clumsy bastard.

Absolutely John I completely agree. By the way are you still with the Diplomatic Corps  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex