Author Topic: More CNCing  (Read 6744 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
More CNCing
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »
Now I'm finally starting to get the hang of CAM.... and having taught CamBam to speak TNC151 conversational  :ddb: (no g-code for me  :scratch:), I've been starting to actually make things with the ole Bridgeport Interact.

First "completed" item, a gearbox bellhousing adapter, converts a Lexus auto box bellhousing to a Toyota Supra gearbox:

Yep, I made it in machinable wax    :)  It remains to be seen if this version is strong enough to take the anticipated 320bhp of a V8 in full cry :lol: I may make another one out of aluminium...

Anyway, having done that, project 2 beckoned - exhaust manifolds. Designed & drawn in CamBam, this is the holes being drilled out:

And in freeze-frame, because it amused me:

Of course, those lovely swarf tails threw starting-to-get-a-bit-smelly coolant everywhere...

Ho hum.

Tomorrow, I will mill the shapes out.... hopefully not sacrificing too many cutters along the way  :thumbup:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: More CNCing
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:19:23 PM »
Very nice part AdeV. Did you make your own wax from the recipe listed here in another thread, or is that the real stuff?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
Ade makes his own... but it definitely is the real stuff. I have some around here that he sent me. It is professional grade. Smells nice too  :lol:

Ade... part looks good. Did you have a chance to check to see if it fits?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 06:16:40 AM »
If you were speaking the same language as everyone else then you could have used G73 - high speed peck drill where it drills, retracts about 1/2 a mill to break the chips then drills again.

Different animal to G83 which retracts fully to clear the chips.
John Stevenson

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 07:16:26 AM »
Very nice part AdeV. Did you make your own wax from the recipe listed here in another thread, or is that the real stuff?

As Eric says - yep, it's my own stuff, but it's also "the real stuff"  :med: I am planning on making it in bulk  selling it, I now have a huge bag of candle wax, a similarly large bag of plastic beads, I just need the time to do it.  :poke:  the block that part came out of was quite large, but unfortunately some dirt got into it  :zap: which makes it unsaleable; still, useful for me...

Ade... part looks good. Did you have a chance to check to see if it fits?

Not yet.... Engine/box should be out by this afternoon, and hopefully separated, so I can check the bellhousing side. The gearbox side I can definitely do today, just need to separate the manual box from its old bellhousing.

If you were speaking the same language as everyone else then you could have used G73 - high speed peck drill where it drills, retracts about 1/2 a mill to break the chips then drills again.

Different animal to G83 which retracts fully to clear the chips.

According to my manual, G73 means co-ordinate transformation. The example they give is G90 G73 H+120 G17. I guess the meaning of G73 changed somewhere along the lines, or Heidenhain used it when they shouldn't have done?

The only drilling options are G83 (pecking) or G84 (tapping).

I suppose it would be possible to write my own pecking cycle & call it via G39... but I can also do that via HH Conversational I believe.

Food for thought, thanks John.

Of course, what I probably ought to do would be to scrap this '80s controller and get all modern.... but, while it still works, I'll stick with it I think. Besides, the wiring diagram scares the crap out of me.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »
PM sent.

G73 was an addition to G codes. Original  ones were all in the 80's but G83 peck drill is sooooo slooooow and it was realised that all you needed as the pause to break the chips hence G73 was born.

Mach3 didn't recognise G73 until quite late and I got Art to build it in.
John Stevenson