Author Topic: Wood turning club Contest: Ash Bowl  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Wood turning club Contest: Ash Bowl
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:58:18 PM »
Our wood turning club is having a contest. Turn something out of wood that's Artsy.

I decided on a bowl. Well actually I decided on a couple other things and determined that I had procrastinated so long that I only had time to finish a bowl. Anyway, It started out by me screwing my faceplate to the chunk of Ash that was given to me:o) I built the faceplate also.

After threading the faceplate onto the lathe, I determined that my lowe4st speed was way too fast!!!

I had to move the piece to my metal lathe and get it running truer. Then I still had troubles. I ended up placing a bottle jack on the headstock. That and a 2X4 against the rafters and the lathe wouldn't wobble. (Too Bad) I shaped the outside of the bowl.

Then I chucked it in the 4 jaw and started hogging out the inside. The bowl gouge that I made works pretty good.

Notice the curly chips I'm making:o) I turned the wall thickness down to almost a quarter inch:o)

I then transferred the bowl to my Longworth chuck.

This bowl needs to stand out. To change things up a little I shaped the rim. I wanted to cut it on my band saw.  I also wanted to do this with out lopping my hand off in the process. I made a elevated rest that I could set the bowl on and cut the rim to shape.

Here is how it turned out.

This is starting to get hard to hold onto. I used one of my nice rasps and shaped and sanded the edge round. Looking good:o)

During the turning of the inside, I had a couple catches. One sanded out. I wasn't so lucky with the other one. One of the judged aspects of the contest will be finish. What to do??? I tried using water and a little heat to swell the wood and fill the hole.  I think some of the wood was gone so there wasn't enough to fill the void:o( I decided to hide it a different way.

I dug out my wood burner and scorched a little flower into the bowl.

When doing projects I like to try new things. I had read about a stain that ages wood. It's home made and cheap, so I'm in:o) I used about a cup of vinegar, a steel wool pad and a tablespoon of coffee grounds. Place contents in a jar and let sit over night. The next day I did a sample.

This stuff is kind of fun to mess with. When applied to Ash. The color changed as the solution dried. I dipped in a piece of white oak and it turned Black almost immediately. You can see as the areas dry the color darkens.

Here is two applications dried.

After it dries for a day or two I'll put on a couple coats of mineral oil and it will be a food safe bowl. Not much good for liquids because the worm holes go through. But I think we'll find a use for it:o)

The contest ends this Thursday. Wish me luck:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Wood turning club Contest: Ash Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:44:12 PM »
Very cool, Powder Keg!

:bow:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:24:51 AM »
That's another beautiful piece of brown artwork.  :thumbup:

Well done Wes!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline micktoon

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:23:20 PM »
Well done Wes , I like the design , the way the bowl had the sections cut off looks nice  :clap: ........Good luck for the contest  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 11:46:55 PM »
Thanks guys:o) I didn't win but it was very close. I'm happy with how things turned out.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »
That's pretty damn good Wes  :thumbup:

I was looking at some wood turning videos on youtube the other month... There are a lot of talented guys out there!

There was one guy who made some amazing bowls. I'll post a link  if you like?

They didn't have a pyrographic flower  :thumbup:   or the craziest sounding wood stain either!   :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »

Hey Wes that's very unusual and looks very modern and arty, think your in with a chance, good luck.

Cheers David