Author Topic: Hello (well, what else can you say?!)  (Read 6775 times)

Offline jemglen

Hello (well, what else can you say?!)
« on: March 04, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
Hi chaps

I'm Jerry, I do metalwork now and then. I can handle it…  :)

...at least, I thought I could...  :(

Trouble is, you start off on the easy stuff, a bench, a four-inch Record, something to bash and cut with, a few files, but soon it's not enough, you've got to have a pillar drill, a grinder, and before you know it you're wandering the streets looking for the hard stuff, talking swing and the distance between centres, making deals for ancient bits of machinery that long preceeded the remote control and the mobile!

So yes, I have an ancient ML7 (c.1949) with ways that would make a real engineer sob into his mic case, a 7x12 mini lathe that for one reason and another I've had under a bench from new for two years without touching (other than a CLA) but am now itching to make chips with, a huge (well, huge in my half-garage workshop) compressor, a mig welder and various bits and pieces (but never enough  :clap:).

What do I like? Land Rovers (currently a 1970 late SIIa 2.25 diesel), old motorbikes (a 1971 Harley Davidson ServiCar -- factory trike used by traffic cops and the like) and at the other end of the scale, a 25cc BSA Winged Wheel (currently in pieces but one day...), stationary engines (various but nothing especially rare or interesting) and...well, all the usual stuff! I also repair old Russian rangefinder cameras (Zorkis mainly).

Greast site. Love the insights, the helpful postings, the glimpses into other enthusiast's workshops. Hopefully, will make my own contribution as and when...

Thank you.

bogstandard

Re: Hello (well, what else can you say?!)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:07:20 PM »
Welcome Jerry,

Sounds like you got a lot of fingers, or you are reusing them to dip into all the pots you've got on the go.

Nothing needed here other than a wish to learn a bit and share a bit. No stuffiness here, just a bit of humour at times. Just make yourself at home and join in.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:22:28 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Interesting basket you have there, very interesting. Range finders, there's a new one  :clap:

Welcome aboard and hope you have fun.... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
Hi Jerry!

Welcome to the collective  :borg: Glad you could join us. Sounds like a wide range of interests! You will have to share some of them with us.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:13:26 PM »
Hi Jerry  :wave:

I see you got the humour level down   :lol:

Well we certainly have a good range of interests and tallents here.... You should fit right in  :)

Don't be shy and feel free to join in where you want to :thumbup:

Now.....
(currently a 1970 late SIIa 2.25 diesel)
  What No Turbo!!???

Oh well  ::)    :)

I used to help re-manufacture 2.25 and 2.5 petrol and diesel Landrover engines, Strip build and fit them and everything!!   also gear boxes, V8's and 6cyl side valvers!!! re-chassied a few too   :D   Fun machines :thumbup:

Have fun.....

See you around the forum :)

Ralph. 

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:45:04 PM »
Darn late to the party again.

A big HI Jerry and welcome to the collective  :borg: ( You have been assimilated )  :D

Pretty good range of interests. Aught to make for some interesting projects.

And we do require lot's of pictures of any of your projects. See we have a hard time reading. :lol: But pictures are easier for us. As we say  :worthless: but put the pics in the proper topic.  :headbang:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 01:33:19 AM »

at the other end of the scale, a 25cc BSA Winged Wheel (currently in pieces but one day...),

Hi Jerry welcome aboard sounds like you've got a dose of  :proj:  you'll have fun here.

Now winged wheels I can remember them beasts from the early 50's a chap who lived near use had one I can remember being intrigued by them, that sort of idea is making a bit of a come back in the form of these electric bikes you see around, looking forward to some photos.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline jemglen

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 02:57:46 AM »
Thanks for the welcome chaps  :D

Bogstandard: That's the problem, too many pies, not enough fingers!

Divided He ad: Yes, the cheeriness on this site is what is so appealing... Interesting you worked on Land Rovers, can I ask where that was? This is the first diesel I've had, following many 2.25 petrol examples. Took me ages to get used to the lack of petrol/oil smell -- it just doesn't feel like a Land Rover without it. Thirty-something to the gallon is a BIG consolation though  :)

I'll post some pics of the various 'projects' once I've settled in a bit.

Thanks again.

Jerry

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 12:12:52 PM »
Hi Jerry, a big welcome to you.  :wave:

My pal sold his old Landy 2yrs or so ago.......

"Herby" sent him a card each christmas!  ::)

Last week "Herby" came back home again!  :bugeye:

A funny lot, you Landy owners......  ::)

You`ll fit right in......  :thumbup:

Enjoy......

David.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:18:52 PM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline jemglen

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 04:30:56 PM »
Thanks for the welcome David  :thumbup:

Agree about LR owners beng a funny lot... slow, drafty, poor fuel economy, deafening noise in the cab, steering more like a boat, yet still we love 'em  :D

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 02:19:41 AM »
Thanks for the welcome David  :thumbup:
Agree about LR owners beng a funny lot... slow, drafty, poor fuel economy, deafening noise in the cab, steering more like a boat, yet still we love 'em  :D

Jerry, here`s Herby......

My gardener pal (another Darren), spotted it abandoned, in the corner of a field, having been rebuilt onto a galvanised chassis.

The replaced s/h engine refused to start..... "Sounds `orrible, it`s scrap".  ::)

The correct starter motor, with matching gear teeth to those on the starter ring, solved the "scrap engine" problem!  :clap:

Sold, as a baby was on the way......  ::)

Now returned, with suspension & steering upgrades...... At the original selling price.....  :thumbup:

Darren`s deliriously happy......

David.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:22:07 AM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline jemglen

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
Lovely! A late Series IIa (though the radiator grill is Series III). Mine's the same model. Totally understand your friend's delight at it coming back to the fold -- especially with 'free' upgrades  :)