Author Topic: Hall Sensor  (Read 5814 times)

Offline mosey

Hall Sensor
« on: April 05, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »
Anyone have a Hall sensor socket? Adjustable one?
Do I make one?
Mosey

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Re: Hall Sensor
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »
Mosey,

I think it would help if you could give a little more information.  Do you have a specific Hall-effect sensor you want to mount? 

They can come in all shapes and sizes - from tiny surface-mount devices, through those with legs like a transistor, to those packaged as industrial proximity detectors with an M12 or even M20 threaded body ....

Dave

Offline mosey

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Sure, Don.
The best I can do is to say that it is the sensor in the Jerry Howell TIM-6 system, and it is 3/32" x 5/32" in size, and marked 049S OGL. It has 3 wires, of course.
I am attaching a picture. It is that tiny black rectangle.

Mosey

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 04:34:58 AM »
Mosey,

It may be better to just mount the device on a small pcb with a drilled hole for mounting...Thats what I did...Soz..no foto.. :doh:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 09:24:59 PM »
I bought a couple of these at $10 each but have not used them yet, save you making the board.

http://www.freetronics.com/products/hall-effect-magnetic-and-proximity-sensor-module#.Uavv2tJ6Fyw

You will be able to find a similar solution at Sparkfun

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8882

RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline mosey

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Rod,
I have been given a mounting clip by a generous member here, and have since mounted my sensor to the contact plate. It is still not close enough to the center of the crank to allow the timing I want, so I have remounted it in a tiny socket. This was  also given to me by the most generous fellow. The picture below is the first setup. I will follow up later with another picture.

You can see the sensor (black) up against the back of the main bearing. Since I have to put an e-clip in the bearing to hold the plate in place, I lose some space, and that is why I had to remount the sensor.
Mosey

Offline mosey

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
The white plastic socket seen above is too big to fit under the flywheel, and to allow the sensor to be close enough for desired dwell time, so I am installing a different mount. This is a simple plastic socket into which the sensor is plugged. This was given to me by don1966 on the MEM Forum.
The sensor leads will be insulated with hot shrink tubing (one of the 3 leads is hidden by the clip). The circlip holding the contact plate interferes, so more work needs to be done with it. This simple device is driving me to the looney bin.

I will get this right soon.
Mosey