Author Topic: Alert for older Dodge Ram PU owners!  (Read 2853 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Alert for older Dodge Ram PU owners!
« on: April 07, 2013, 06:04:49 AM »
Just thought, I would put this out there for anybody else that may have a late 90's Dodge Ram truck. I loaded it up over a couple days, and took a couple loads to the scrap yard, It wasn't a case of overload. The local Spring and shock repair place said that they are starting to see more of them with rear spring shackles that have rusted away and the spring ends have worked their way thru the bed of the PU.

Luckily I found it before I went to pick up some heavy weight items. You can't get the shackles around here currently as every supplier has them back ordered.

Seems they are another Dodge part that you can only buy at the dealer!   The good news and interesting bit is, the Spring place said they use a universal rear spring shackle. A Ford 150 rear shackle is almost a perfect fit, the bushing is 1/8" larger in dia. But that doesn't cause a problem.

So check the amount of rust you have on the rear spring shackles. I really didn't want to start driving a low rider!
 :palm:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Arbalist

Re: Alert for older Dodge Ram PU owners!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »
You don't see too many over here but a Dodge Ram 1500 would be on my shopping list if I could afford the gas!