Author Topic: Making Simple QC Tool Holders  (Read 50616 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Making Simple QC Tool Holders
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2017, 07:32:30 AM »
All photos now restored in this thread after PhotoBucket broke the links.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2017, 09:25:34 PM »
Hi vtsteam,
         Just re-read this post whilst on referee duties with my teen age grandchildren as mum and dad are at work. (Last two days of school hols.) Actually they are pretty good kids who do though enjoy niggling one another at times, hence the "referee".
 :lol:
         Your comment regarding tool slipping down with button head screw is actually cited as a safety thing by Eccentric Engineering. Better to have tool slip rater than break or worse, dig into and ruin the job.
        Regarding interrupted cuts the same applies but in my case with my 7X it is more tool deflection with gibs adjusted as tight a I can whilst still being able to move cross slide etc. I'm thinking of removing the compound and fitting a solid riser in a way that will allow easy refit if I need the compound. I'm not sure that it is the compound or just the lack of general rigidity of my Seig clone although bolted to a lump of 12mm steel plate.
          It is good to go back and re-read posts even if it was you having to do some editing due to PB issues.
Regards,
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2017, 10:31:24 PM »
Thanks John!  :beer: I kind of forgot about this thread, and have to admit, I enjoyed re-reading it again myself even though I was trying to fix it. I forget all the stuff I did. Reading it brings back the old enjoyment and anticipation of making those tools I now just take for granted.

With lathes, rigidity is everything. That's why I started the new one, and I'm hoping to use the Rose style toolholders -- from some old ME issues. Might cast a Tubal Caine "Gibraltar" toolholder in iron, too. If I get back to iron casting again.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg