Author Topic: Making non-springy weldon lookalikes - what steel  (Read 3738 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Making non-springy weldon lookalikes - what steel
« on: April 11, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »
Im planning to make a couple of large size weldon look alike collets. The mill only takes 14mm max  through put and the step over collets only take 20mm max.
And i got a couple of 25-38mm endmills i wanna be able to use in the horizontal setup.

So im thinking i could make couple..
Do these really have to be a hardened steel? I can buy SS1914 leaded steel quite cheap and its easy to machine.. The parts arent gonna be springy and just fix the endmill with a screw..

Would the leaded steel be enough?
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Making non-springy weldon lookalikes - what steel
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
Neo.
I'd guess you're not going to push those cutters anywhere near their limit.  :palm:

Keep it short, and a neat fit on the shank, with two holding screws. It should be fine.  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: Making non-springy weldon lookalikes - what steel
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
I dont even know their limit. ;)

I bought em for their large radius more or less, and they are 6 flute most of em so i guess i really cant take to deep cuts with them. =)
Dormer makes good tools though, 110mm cutting length and 30mm to hold onto.

Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/