Author Topic: Truth about swedes.  (Read 6666 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Truth about swedes.
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
I stumbled across this on the mighty facerape.. I found it kinda amusing.. and well true in most senses.. Welcome to sweden. ;)

Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Deko

Re: Truth about swedes.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »
Hi NeoTech,
                  12-13 , 21-22, Were all true in 1964 (the last time I was there).  Don't know about the rest, but I share your view about peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.(what the US calls "jelly" we call "jam") Yuk.

Cheers Dek. :med:

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »
I can't do anything then agree to this  :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:49:33 AM by saw »

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:33:53 PM »
A nation that eats lutfisk complaining about how awful PB&J is?!  One could cut the irony with a knife.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 07:13:28 PM »
I hate PB&J. Always have. My wife, who is Swedish American loves it. Eats that for breakfast. She's was a food editor for Natural Health magazine. Go figure.  :Doh:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:56:54 AM »
I have to say that Sweden is one of my favourite countries.  I have friends in Goteborg and Lund and really like to people.  Yes, some of those things ring true and Midsommer is an interesting time.  I'm heading back there next March and really looking forward to it.

Oh - one thing:  A Swedish mile is NOT a mile, so don't think you can walk the two miles into town after spending your cab money on beer!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
I have to say that Sweden is one of my favourite countries.  I have friends in Goteborg and Lund and really like to people.  Yes, some of those things ring true and Midsommer is an interesting time.  I'm heading back there next March and really looking forward to it.

Oh - one thing:  A Swedish mile is NOT a mile, so don't think you can walk the two miles into town after spending your cab money on beer!

Might I ask how you know that fact? Personal experience?  :lol: :lol: :lol:  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 07:18:17 AM »
Don - I am not a liberty to divulge that information...

Offline mosey

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »
Hi NeoTech,
                  12-13 , 21-22, Were all true in 1964 (the last time I was there).  Don't know about the rest, but I share your view about peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.(what the US calls "jelly" we call "jam") Yuk.

Cheers Dek. :med:
Isn't it jam if made from berries, and jelly if from fruit? Or the other way around.
Mosey

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 12:50:55 PM »
Marv, The consumption of lutfisk is dwindling, thank God! I think it's disgusting... But most of that is mostly true, I tried PB&J when I was in Seattle. Not my thing...

Mayhem is right, a Swedish mile is 10 km (about 6 Anglo-Saxon miles)... Takes a couple of hours to walk, if not more, if you spent the cab money on beer... Speaking of which, it's expensive if you don't like stuff as light as American "normal" beer (don't order Pripps Blå, it's as thin as Budweiser...). But Systembolaget (the state owned "off license") is better than you think, the staff know their stuff, and the selection is pretty good at any of their stores.

And, if you ever come here, you must try "Tunnbrödsrulle och en Pucko"! I'll leave to Neo and Saw to explain...

Kjelle (who drinks Swedish coffee almost like the article said, except for before bed...)

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »
I'd never heard of a Swedish mile before. Seems it used to be 36,000 feet or just over 6.8 English miles, but has been standardised at 10 km, which is somewhat less.

Andy

PS Don't forget marmalade, Mosey.....
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
Tunnbrödsrull och en pucko = Flat bread roll and a chocolate milk. Not really but close enough.  :drool:   

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 03:15:07 AM »
Very nice in Cornish Pasties with Onion and Tatys.
Trev

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 07:25:55 AM »
Tunnbrödsrull och en pucko = Flat bread roll and a chocolate milk. Not really but close enough.  :drool:

Well a flatbread roll with mashed potatos, sausage picled cucumber and or shrimp in mayonaise, depending on how you like it i guess. I prefet it with some dried onions and blueberry juice ;D

And well.. you shouldnt say "Pucko" to a swede as a one word that can result in a punch in the face.. you relly need to put it in a sentence..
Depending on where you are in the country a "Pucko" is the same as "Stupid, Daft, dumb as ****"..  The language barrier can be really funny sometime with anglosaxic languages. ;)

A metric mile is 10km anywhere i guess.. its the standardised of 1000m = 1km x 10 = 10km = 1 Mile

Regarding "Lutfisk" or "Surströmming" its not that common that people eat that anymore. But its funny as **** to serve it to foreigners never seen it before. That and "Pölsa".. :D

And well coffe.. i drink three pots a day or so.. thats about 36 cups of coffe any given day.. i wouldnt function as a human being without it  :ddb:
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline mosey

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 08:18:12 AM »
I remember Gunilla, she taught me "utedas af tegele", forgive the spelling, and she took me home from work for lunch of swedish meatballs.
Mosey