Author Topic: flexi drive shaft  (Read 10492 times)

Offline boatmadman

• Located in Barrow in Furness, South Cumbria
flexi drive shaft
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:57:25 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know how the square drive on the end of a flexi drive shaft is made? I guess its compressed, but is there a tool available for doing this?

Ian
If it works, take it apart and find out why!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: flexi drive shaft
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »
The ones on car speedo drives had a ground finish, but that doesn't mean they were compressed first then ground to size.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
I remember using a special Smiths tool for making speed-cable inners about 35 years ago (can't imagine anyone does that any more!)

IIRC  It was two pieces with three(?) sets of paired of 90° V-notches and some kind of clamping arrangement,  to hold the cable while the tool was clouted with a hammer.

Frank Ford has a how-to homebrew one here: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Projects/SpeedoCable/speedocable.html

Bill
Bill

Offline boatmadman

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »
Thats great, thanks for that.

Looks like I have a job to do!

Ian

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:20:38 PM »
Are you looking for a drive shaft for a RC boat?  I use to race them for years and a lot of us got our shafts from used weedeaters.  Personally I didn't like using the square shafts and used a round shaft with a collet instead.

If you need a source for new 1/4" flex shafts with a round or square ends just let me know as I know of some suppliers that sell them for RC boat use.

Dale P.

Offline boatmadman

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
Dale,
Yes its for rc boats, some of the club members have square drive fittings, but most of us do prefer collet types. However, sometimes one or two square drives vanish into the pond so I was looking for a way to make them as it will be cheaper than buying retail.

If I am successful making a square drive I think we will be looking to buy a length of shaft to cut and make our own as needed.

If you know of a supplier in the uk for lengths of cable I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Ian

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »
Sorry I forget most of the members here are not from the US.  All of my sources are from the states.

I use to race Gas mono's running full mod Zenoah motors, but got out of the hobby a few years ago because of other interests.  I sold all of my boats, but here are some pictures of some that I use to have.  I made all of the running hardware on the boats with the small lathe and mill in the home shop.
I would love to see some pictures of your boats!

Dale P.