Author Topic: Steam siren  (Read 22032 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Steam siren
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:37:11 AM »
I never ever even thought of building one of these. Until a chap from the UK sent me some plans for one. There are only a few parts so I thought I would build one in my spare time. Friday after work I cut out the lever, that opens the valve, on the CNC mill. The original plans were quarter scale. I'm doubling everything for a half scale version. It's still pretty small. It looks like a fairly straight forward project. Compromising of mainly lathe work there are only a couple pieces that require a mill.

Here is the lever that I made.

I'll update this as photos become available:o)

Wes
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 07:39:20 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: Steam siren
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:50:37 PM »
Managed to squeze a bit of work on this in today. I started on the valve body. This is the bottom end. It will have a 1" hex machined on the end of it.

I have to drill and tap the end for a 1/2" pipe thread. I like to do that first, While I still have something substantial to hold onto.

Later, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:20:01 PM »
There are several examples on you tube here is one.

and another.

I thhink these are fairly unusual? I have never seen or heard one before. Better reason for me to make one:o0

Later, Wes
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:57:06 PM »
I Think part of the fun in building something is researching it. Here is another Video. I think these guys were having a bit of fun:o)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4923944683991053650

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 11:16:28 AM »
Very very cool.

What are you going to power it with?
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »
The same way Cat Anderson would do it LOL

&feature=related

Just kidding :o) I have air at home. I would like to make a boiler though.

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »
I bored the end for a 1/2" pipe tap and tapped it. Notice the marks on the tap so I can gauge when I'm getting close to the bottom.

After I finished taping the piece, I cut the part off the shaft with my bandsaw. I chucked it back up and faced it to length and bored the different steps that were required.

I then started on the body of the siren. It is a tube that is bored on one end to get silver soldered to the valve and the other end is threaded, so the rotor can be removed for cleaning.

That's all for now.

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 11:24:53 PM »
Can't wait to hear the sound on this one. Love the brassy sound...

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 06:42:34 PM »
Had a small Snafo  this weekend and needed something to do. I saw my Siren parts lying there and decided I needed to revive this thread\o/ It was a pretty lazy day today but I needed to accomplish something. I cut the hex into the bottom of the siren this will allow it to be tightened onto a steam/air pipe.

I need to find a couple of 1/8" endmills to mill the turbine slots. that should be fun:o)

Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 07:38:46 PM »
Very good Wes! I want to see this one finished!

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »
Yea, Me too. I vowed not to tart any more projects till I finished three that were ongoing. Unless they pertained to something that I was building.
Wesley P

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 05:02:34 PM »
Yea, Me too. I vowed not to tart any more projects till I finished three that were ongoing. Unless they pertained to something that I was building.

Wes

Things are kind of slow so I was reading some of the old posts. This one sounded interesting. Just wondering if you ever made any more progress on it?  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:48:29 PM by dsquire »
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »
I was thinking that myself a few months back. The neighbours would love it   :poke: but hooked up on air would freak any theif   :D

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 09:19:54 AM »
Looking good so far - where did you get the plans? I have been keeping my eye out but not really looking, but would love to make a third scale one to go on a traction engine.

Offline Zadig

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »
Looking good so far - where did you get the plans? I have been keeping my eye out but not really looking, but would love to make a third scale one to go on a traction engine.

I'll second the request for the drawings. I am ready to machine a whistle or siren for my own TE. I'll post the build pics if anyone can supply the plans.