Author Topic: New member in N.FL  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Hyper

New member in N.FL
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »
Hi guys.  Been lurking here and there for awhile and figured it was time to get active.  Brass_Machine has been after me to get on here for some time now and I guess I've been busy making a mess in the shop.  I'm a recovering race mechanic and I've been clean for almost a year now.  I had a great time in racing and made good memories and friends, but the little girl my wife and I had in 2011 convinced me that working 3000 hours a year just isn't worth it.  I am about to start a new career as a fire fighter with the Air National Guard unit here.  The pay stinks, but the schedule will allow me time to spend with my family and to work on side projects.  My experience and connections from racing have allowed me the opportunity to be a part of some interesting projects and I hope to expand that into a small side business as soon as I can begin outfitting my shop properly. 
  Most of my experience has come on the fly and in most cases I've had no formal training.  I hope to eventually fix that through the Guard ( I would have enlisted for fabrication, but there were no openings and therefore no full time positions and the fire station isn't subject to the sequester).  In the meantime I hope to glean some knowledge from here in regards to equipment choices and the skills I have yet to master or even try.  I enjoy sheetmetal shaping, lathe and mill work, general design and fab and, most recently, TIG welding.  I was always proud of the fact that I seemed to be the guy that the team would look to when they got stuck.  Working at the track for so long makes you get that MacGyver mentality :)   Anyway, I'll be posting some threads here soon with pics and details of some of my projects.  I haven't done much customer work lately, but I have been making some billet pieces for my personal car that I'm pretty proud of.  Look forward to sharing and getting your feedback.
I'm not saying I'm Batman. I'm just saying we've never been seen in the same room before.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: New member in N.FL
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »
Wow. It is about damn time!

Welcome to the collective :borg:

This guy has been building an amazing car that I hope he shares pictures. I think the motorhead crowd here will enjoy/drool over it. I may even have some pictures of some bike stuff we did when I lived in N. Fl.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Hyper

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
Yeah yeah yeah.  The kid keeps me running.  You know I'm gonna post some car pics ;)  See if you have some bikes pics.  I've hardly got any pics from back then.  The majority of the pics I had of my bike were from the sales ad :doh:  I wish I'd had a camera phone back then, for a lot of reasons.....
I'm not saying I'm Batman. I'm just saying we've never been seen in the same room before.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »
I think I have some from the airbox mod. I know I have a bunch of engine rebuild pictures.

Will have to check
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:50:34 PM »
Hi and welcome to us  :wave:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »
Hi Hyper.

Welcome to the Collective.  :borg:

Seems you don't need me to tell you, you're in good hands here!  :)

We really need to see those projects.... Past, present, and pending!  :thumbup:

Join in. Enjoy!

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:38:20 PM »
Hyper

I looks like the boss has put a good word in for you. I am sure that he will answer any questions that you may have but the rest of us like to help out when we have a chance.

I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures when there is time to post them.

You mention "that MacGyver mentality". Thats a good thing to have. It helps you get out of many tight situations that you could get yourself into, use it wisely and wear it proudly.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline krv3000

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 05:42:16 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline Hyper

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »
Ok, I started a thread with some pics of my personal project...http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,8505.0.html