Author Topic: Car boot sale bargain finds  (Read 121010 times)

Offline micktoon

Car boot sale bargain finds
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »
Evening all, Well after a bank holiday of serious car booting, 3 sales visited in all, with John Doubleboost, we both come back smiling  :)  The sun was shining as we set off with our usual arrangement (he goes one way around and I go the other) , to save any ugly incidents where we both spot the same item at the same time lol.
  This is my collection at the end of the day, all in all £32.50p spent ..............not bad at all , even a Yorkshireman or Scotsman would be proud  :lol:

Its not that clear to see some of the stuff , but amongst it are 25 reamers , some tapered , an 18V Dewalt drill , a Makita 18V battery , an old heavy duty soldering iron , ideal for doing leaded glass work, a remote car alarm , a 5 lever mortice lock with 3 keys, a pull saw for wood , scraper for wood , hole saw arbor, feeler gauges , calipers , 3 files , couple a ratchet wrenches,  a leather hole punch , milling cutter , couple of taps , a few drill bits, two pairs of safety goggles , 10 heavy duty rawl bolts, a tube of evostick glue , a tube of pvc weld glue ..... not bad haul  :thumbup:
  We both had a good laugh too , especially when I bought the reamers John had offered the bloke £15 for and the guy said no , he must have then regretted it , I then saw them , and said how much for them all he said £15 ........... I said I will give you £10 ..he must have been thinking he didnt want to regret missing a sale again so said £12 and I took them ..... much to John's dismay when I told him lol ..............there are several doubles so he will still be getting some of them anyway.
 We drove back with the sound of all our bounty rattling away in the back of the car with smiles like Cheshire cats on out faces .......................Mission Acumplished  :D

P.S before everyone rushes out to boot sales next weekend .................. normally its one blunt drill or something you already have three of , this was a good day indeed !
 Cheers Mick.

Offline krv3000

Re: Car boot sale bargain finds
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:01:09 PM »
well dun

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »
Nice haul.

I filled a bag with hammers this week at the car boot sale. I've never had much luck at my local car boot sale in the past but this year i've been finding some pretty neat stuff. Nothing as exciting as all those reamers though.

A couple weeks back I got a big bench vise for a tenner. Last time I saw a vise like that was at the Hexham car boot sale where I'd offered £20 and got laughed at. They wanted something closer to £100.

It's a bit of a weird car boot sale up that way.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »
It
Was
A good day for the boot sales

John

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »
Here's an idea!

If you have a mill, you can use the dewalt drill motor to make a power feed. I threw two dewalts in the bin in disgust once after both their chargers failed and the replacement ones were very expensive. I wish I kept them as I think they would be a lot better motor than the cheap drill one I am using for my power feed project :(

I am hoping 3.5 amps from an 18.5 volt laptop power supply will be enough power for it.
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »
Hi Guys,

What a good day, I love Boot Sales especially when there's a bargain.

Cheers David

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »
Mick, John.

I was thriftily raised, in Yorkshire.  :thumbup:

You did well!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 07:29:06 PM »
Excellent bargain hunting! I have exactly that same pile of bound model engineers -- very interesting reading!  :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
Evening Lads

I thought I would go to a car boot sale today , I have not been to one in years , in fact I cant remember the last time  :scratch: , so of I goes and came home with this wee haul .

3MT reamer , 25mm end mill , 16 mm rippa , a few other small milling cutters , an old set of odd shaped pliers , wire strippers  and a canny few lengths of silver solder  :ddb:  ,,,,,,,, total spent  , including  admission  ,stopping for an ice cream half way round ,came to a grand total of £9.30  . £3 for the silver solder , seller thought they were welding rods  :coffee:

Rob

Offline kayz1

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
**** odd shaped pliers****
those look like relay setting pliers we used to use in  the GPO days of BT.. when i were a lad :>)
Lyn.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »
Hi Lyn

Do you recon that what there for , interesting  , there of good quality and have a box joint  :med:

Rob

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »
Hi Lyn

Do you recon that what there for , interesting  , there of good quality and have a box joint  :med:

Rob

Probably are, look a lot like the ones I had. Are the surfaces where the ends close free of serrations ???

BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
Yes they are Dave  ,no serrations ,,,,,,,,,, smooth :thumbup:

Rob

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »
smooth :thumbup:

Rob

:lol:  Bit like you then ????

Almost certainly what they are. Still got mine somewhere ... and the other 'tool of tweak' for relay blades .. ...

Dunno why I've kept them, never used for 50 years ...

Ah, what it is to be an Owd Codger ...  :scratch:

BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
re relay setting tools - coincidentally, theres a gentleman heroically reinstating a CNC lathe who just mentioned he was going to try to  repair some no-speed contactors?

Dave

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 04:30:45 PM »
Ah but those are full of electronics - there will be two relays in each, but I expect to find them as sealed units when I venture inside.

I expect that the speed sensing is simply a pulse generator derived from the motor speed proximity switch charging up a capacitor with a schmidt trigger looking at the capacitor voltage and switching the relay when at set point.  (there are various external links to set the set point)

I do however well remember tweaking PO style 1000 and 3000 relay contact sets with relay setting tools thus revealing that I too am an old git!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »
Whats GPO   :scratch: something to do with telegraph  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Must be way way before my time ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,off too hide  :lol:

Rob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »
he he - those were the days - worked at both Dollis Hill and Martlesham research centres for the PO before they transmogrified into BT !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »
**** odd shaped pliers****
those look like relay setting pliers we used to use in  the GPO days of BT.. when i were a lad :>)
Lyn.

I've got a similar pair in my toolbox only mine are straight.  We called them 'duck-bill pliers' and used them to straighten any kinks from the leads of resistors and capacitors (in the days when resistors and capacitors were big enough to see with the naked eye!)   :D   :D   :D   :D 

Out of interest, I keep my eye on the tool-suppliers' catalogues but it seems 'they don't make them like that anymore'.   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Someone told me that the evening before the General Post Office was split to form Royal Mail and British Telecommunications that BT still hadn't worked out how they were going to stamp their letters and Royal Mail hadn't worked out how they were going to pay their phone bill.  Probably apocryphal, or maybe just politicians leaving the guys at the coal-face to sort out the nitty-gtitty. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 05:15:29 PM »
When I was a lad , Led zeppelin was in the hit paraded on top of the pops and I remember we had a box on the wall with a dial A-Z to turn the telly channel over , think it was cable ,,,,,,,,,,only had three channel ,,,,,,,, and they had that girl with a doll on most of the time .

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 05:18:33 PM »
It was called "redifusion"  now it is cable
John

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
And do you remember the bright 'dot' left in the middle of the TV screen when you turned it off
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 05:29:05 PM »
 :lol: I do ,,,,,,,,,, and the back of the TV glowed

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »