Author Topic: Car boot sale bargain finds  (Read 121001 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Car boot sale bargain finds
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
Nice one John. Drop them in citric acid overnight and they'll come up like new
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
I have one of those comparator stands, and a twin of the smaller height gauge stad with the pins that poke through the base. Good haul.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »
 Hi lads this was my lot from today............ Only the 6 bits of tool steel and the large centre drill engineering wise. The plastic dial caliper is a decent thing but more for woodworking or rough sizing. The pliers are proper old things I have got them more as small tongs for picking hot things up blacksmithing wise really at 20p you can not walk past them ! The two pipe cutters are Momument make and work well. The knife looking tool is for hacking putty from windows and as I have a window glass to replace should come in handy, the screw driver is Spiralux ratchet type straight blade and all the little buffing wheel type things are various grades , tuffted , felt etc, the small box came with them its called 'Gloss Sticks' for restoring the gloss to porcelain after grinding , made by the Columbus dental Mfc  Co, Columbus , Ohio U.S.A  there is a small instruction booklet and two sticks of polish inside and judging by the way its written must be early 1900's I would say , interesting.

Cheers Mick

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2013, 06:11:03 PM »
Hi Mick

The hacking knife brings back memories of slicing the PVC outer sheath off Armoured cable ...

Strewth, that stuff was damned hard at anything less that 10oC.   :)

Usually felt better after weighing in the off-cut ends ...  :beer:

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
a good hall you two well i whent to whiby and got this lot for £1 a 1 to 13 mm chuck jacubs taper a hight gage two pers of scisers  a tap handel and a brass brush

Offline krv3000

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »
hi all well not a car boot sale but a auction i got a large tool box full of stuff for £9 sum pics two Tyre levers 1 mm radius gage 1 whit thread gage 1 0 to 1" more and right mike assorted punches sum bare stock a Stanly screwdriver ratchet type two plane screwdrivers a line level for brick work a per of Stiltons a moor and right scraper 4 moor and Right calipers 3 tap handles 1 is a long retch type 1 die holder a sorted 1/4 sockets a sorted driver bits sum hacksaw bladed two hammers 1 without a Handel a sorted alien keys two valve guide cleaners 1 large folding ruler a Stanly knife and much more

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
Great haul, Bob.

Round here, most traditional engineering (in Trafford Park) died out too long ago for stuff to still be coming up at boot sales. I live in hope, but it's depressing looking round boxes of old VHS tapes, cassette recorders and suchlike...

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2013, 07:00:05 PM »
Bob

Another nice find for you. With all these tools you keep finding you will soon have to have sale to make more room for more deals that you find.  :D

What looks to be a bunch of junky old tools sure comes to life under your skill full hands. Well done.  :clap: :clap:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Online philf

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »
Great haul, Bob.

Round here, most traditional engineering (in Trafford Park) died out too long ago for stuff to still be coming up at boot sales. I live in hope, but it's depressing looking round boxes of old VHS tapes, cassette recorders and suchlike...

Andy

Andy,

You told me you lived in Sale!

I too am peed off seeing all the goodies our MadModder colleagues pick up every week. As you say, round here it's mostly crap on offer. We have one once a month at our local train station (we actually have two stations in our small town!) and I always wander down hoping to find a set of Myford Collets or a well kitted out watchmaker's lathe for £5 but when I wake from my dream all there is is boxes of mobile phone chargers, 33.6K modems, obsolete telephones, scart leads, kids toys etc. etc.

In the last year I'd be surprised if I'd spent as much as £5. (£4 on two Record Stilsons.)

There's one this Sunday and I'll be there - no doubt wasting another 30 minutes of my life!

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »
Yes, Sale it is, Phil, but I reckon the likeliest source is ex-Trafford Park stuff. Sale isn'r known for industry.

25 years back, I did score a nice free heap of light section brass and stainless from a guy who had retired from Budenberg Gauge in Altrincham, but their site is now a huge apartment block.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline micktoon

« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2013, 06:26:54 PM »
Hi Phil and Andy .........Well rain stopped play today so no bargains at all  :( , mind dont be fooled, Me, John and Bob have put some serious hours in to find our loot lol and as for the crap we have had to look at to find our gems , well it would fill the Olympic stadium ten times over and more ! not to mention some of the sights we have seen on our journey...........other treasure hunters shall we say  :palm: John DB and myself have had some proper laughs too, so even when we have only come back with token items its normally still been a good day for banter and there is always next time to find 'The Mother Load '  :drool:

Cheers Mick.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
Shame the rain stopped plat today
But like Mick said we always have a good laugh  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2013, 04:31:57 AM »
....... I live in hope.......
.......You told me you lived in Sale! ...........

Actually, he didn't say which hope - it could have been the one which friends of mine from Southsea & Gresford used to refer to in "Live in Hope and die in Caegwlre" !!

Offline micktoon

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
This is what the boot sale revealed on Wednesday lads, not a bad day at all , this good weather is doing the job!

A smallish pair of proper 'Mole grips' locking pliers, 2 six inch Irwin quick clamps, a 240volt Dewalt 3 inch belt sander, I have been after a 3 inch sander for a while so well pleased with this find, and last but not least a full 5 volume set of Caxton books , ' The Modern Motor Engineer' 1955 I think, in pretty much mint condition too.

As you can see on the sample pages the books have some real good old stuff in them, Volume 5 is a data and wiring diagram book , it just shows how few models of cars there were around then and how basic they were.............. this was back in the good old days where the owner of a car could actually fix their vehicle themselves without having a factory computer and special tools to do even the most basic tasks like now !

Cheers Mick.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
Nice books Mick
I have the first four (well used)
Weather is looking good for Sundays boot sales  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
John

Offline krv3000

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »
good hale mick i whent to the aucshon on wedensday ther was a old lath in good working order did not see a macers name on it the bed lenth i wood say was 3 to 4 ft it was a gap bed to with a box full of related stuff and a 4 jaw chuck the hole lot whent for £80  :bugeye:

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »
These are not exactly boot sale bargains but they are bargains all the same, obtained from VW north west Volkwagen show today at Tatton park.

there was a stall selling spray cans for 20p each.... yes 20pence  :D

anti spatter spray for welding

got these to lube the changewheels on the lathe.....

and PCL airline fittings for £1 each....

unfortunately i forgot my camera so didnt take any photies for you guys, there were some very nice mots there too.
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline Trebor

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »
Splatter spray   :bugeye:   You doing a lot of welding round machined surfaces ? or is it rough welding ?

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »

no, to be honest i dont use it much, but at 20p a tin i wast leaving it there, ill probably just spray the mig tip to stop the build up of spatter.
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »
well hi all this is my lot that i got on Sunday the clamp the two drill bits a pad saw and a punch all for £1 then a tub full of lil pant tins and brushes and a darlik £1 and pile of model engineering mags and a book for £2.50 did not no watt the book was till i got it home pics

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »
Well done Bob
The book is a good buy
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2013, 05:11:40 AM »
Top class car booting Bob, the Machinerys handbook is rare find still wrapped up  :drool: :drool: a good day indeed Bob and your grandson will be over the mon too .....I bet he  would not swap the Darek for the Machinerys handbook lol.
  Well done lad  :thumbup: :clap:

Cheers Mick

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2013, 09:04:10 AM »
Hi there, Bob and all,

I don't get to car boot sales so I rather envy you.  Mind you, having been a 'tool junkie' for several decades, I probably haven't room for many more.  In fact, I've reached the stage where I just know I've got a tool that's right for the current job, but where the heck did I put it?   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: 

Regarding the Machinery's Handbook, what edition are they up to now?  The one Bob shows is 14th Edition - what year does that date from?  I was given the then current edition about 20 years ago but I already had and retain a much older edition.  If you're engaged in modern production I guess the more recent the better - however, if you ever dabble mending/adapting old equipment, it's handy to have an old enough Machinery's because they have lots of info on superseded screw threads and stuff that the Machinery's editors have decided they don't need to include in the modern versions.  Just my two penn'orth.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline krv3000

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »
hi pete w well its dated 1958 ther was a pay slip dated 1970 in side ther up to No 28 gnaw

Offline micktoon

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »
More boot finds to report lads. Sunday I got this stuff , A Black & Decker heat gun, a slaters ripper ( you slide it under slates to be removed and pull back sharply , the hooked blade cuts the copper roofing nails off so slates can be removed without breaking them ) 2 scotch augers for boring holes in wood , a bar fits through the top like a tommy bar and they pull themselves into the wood as they cut a wood bit was thrown in with them, and a nice 6 inch imperial dial caliper.

I have been back to another bootsale today as it was lovely day weather wise again, I took a couple of photos of the general scene, thinking people from other areas of the world may not be able to picture an English car boot sale !

This is the parking area in the foreground and the bootsale are in the distance, as you can see its a lovely day and setting, just goes to show the North of England is not as deserted and desolate as some Southern M.P's seem to think .

This is the general scene in there , lines of cars with their good either on the ground or on tables, it can be literally anything for sale.......you name it , its there really, people just walking about inspecting the goods.

This is what I managed to find , a nice set of metal drawers, I knew John Doubleboost was after some of these so snapped them up for him, The yellow things resting on top of the draws are suction cups for fitting and lifting glass...............good quality German made so at £2 each , you never know when you might need them.

A set of Dormer M24 taps, the box looks like its been rattling about in a toolbox but the taps look unused.

For once some proper engineering type stuff, a 5C collet block set and a new in the box 3/4 inch R8 collet.

Last but not least a box full of reamers and two lathe chuck keys, the reamers are both metric and imperial, hand and machine reamers, some nice and sharp some a bit rough but the whole lot was £10

Cheers Mick.