Author Topic: What material for QCTP Tool Holders  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
What material for QCTP Tool Holders
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:29:13 AM »
 I purchased the OXA QCTP kit at the Cabin Fever Expo this year. I finally got home yesterday, and today, I installed the QCTP and began setting the height adjustments on the tool holders. I also made some spacers so my original 4-way and my previous tool post will fit the new OXA stud.
I could buy extra turning/facing tool holders for $14.00 plus shipping, but I want to make my own just for the satisfaction. In fact, in my searches, I found several references to CDCO having cheap tool holders, but an e-mail to them determined they do not have any for OXA size. Can other sizes be adapted to the OXA size, maybe with a shim?
What material should I use? The holders with the set are steel and hardened. Do they really need to be hardened? Would 12L14 work? Aluminum? My first attempt will be in aluminum for a DTI holder.
I tried searching the various hobby forums for threads on making QCTP holders, but there are so many it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. Have you made your own wedge type QCTP tool holders? Did you do a thread on it? Please post a link to the better threads on making QCTP tool holders.
 Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline John Rudd

Re: What material for QCTP Tool Holders
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
Chuck,

I made my own qctp and holders for my Sieg 7* x lathe...Basically I copied the tp I had on my Chester 9*20...Not sure what material was used but I used EN1..(not sure what that is in your terms) suffice to say that even without hardening I'm happy with the durability of the parts I made..
Aluminium should be fine for a dti holder...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »
When I made all my tool holders for my Dickson T2 tool post I bought a darn great bar of EN8 - it's 4"x2" - that was perhaps 15-20 years ago - guess what - I came across the remnant sitting in the tray under my folder only yesterday!

I think EN8 is a 1040 steel in US speak: ie medium carbon (0.4%) hardenable

http://www.steelexpress.co.uk/engineeringsteel/EN8.html
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 01:46:28 PM »
I'm working on a DTI holder for my QCTP in 6061 Aluminum. I got the dovetail cut, but didn't measure progress often enough or exact enough! Ended up 20 thou over and the QCTP wouldn't lock on it. A 20 thou shim of coppet sheet loctited into the bottom of the dovetail saved the day. :doh:
I found some SS rod 3/16 dia and cut a couple of gage pins to measure the dovetails so the next one should be better!
Now to figure out how to mount the DTI in the block! :nrocks:
Thanks for the input guys.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline chipenter

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 03:25:05 PM »
I used free cutting mild steel 18 months ago and I cant see any were or flex on them .
Jeff

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »
I made a couple tool holders out of 6061-T6 Al. They seem to be holding up fine. I lked the provided turning and facing tools so much, I bought 2 more. I also made a copy of the dovetail as a go-nogo gage when milling the tool holders in future.
Thanks for all the input folks.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN