Author Topic: "The Prohibition kit"... This would be handy.  (Read 6465 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: "The Prohibition kit"... This would be handy.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
Gives a whole new twist to the concept of Transformers.

In fact you could have it with a twist. Right out of the fruit basket.

Of course for years pre-70's the old plastic dustbin converted into a mash tun, and the spaghetti pot a wort boiler, never thought of the copper coil wort chiller as a fruit basket before -- might be hard to convince anyone of that!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »
Don't think it's a wort chiller, VTS. It's part of the condenser for distilling moonshine liquor. I understand they used to do a lot of that in NeoTech's Sweden, but " hembränt" has rather gone out of fashion now. Still (no pun intended) goes on in rural Norway, I understand.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »
Don't think it's a wort chiller, VTS. It's part of the condenser for distilling moonshine liquor.
Andy

I knew that -- I've distilled ethanol as part of a grant funded alternative fuel research project . And was once a home brewer, way back before it was so easy.   Just joking that the "transformer" idea isn't exactly new.  :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »
Well moonshine distilling or making "Hembränt" is still quite common.. most of us doing it though is hesitant of reselling it to other people these days because of new laws that can put you in jail for 3 years... Alcohol above 65% is considered a narcotic.. and well a open reflux column produces somewhere near 94% pure alcohol..

This still was just funny though.. minus the cooling coil / fruitbasket i cant see how law enforcement could crackdown on its configuration.. in parts.. ;D
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Pete49

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:32 PM »
Funny world we live in huh. In New Zealand its ok to brew as much moonshine as you want with a few brewing large amounts and all legal unless you sell it then big trouble.
Here is Australia its illegal however you can buy all the bits and pieces and even the flavouring ingredients legally. Made as per instructions its cheap to make and quite nice taste wise or so I have been told :beer:d  :palm: oops going now
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 05:32:22 AM »
In Kabul during the Taleban era you could go to the shop and buy big bottles of grape juice and on the shelf right above were the little packets of yeast! :lol:
From the den of The Artful Bodger