Author Topic: Pete W's Tin Shed Project.  (Read 54145 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Pete W's Tin Shed Project.
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »
Nice to see, you're still progressing Pete!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2014, 03:21:24 PM »
As David says, nice to see you are still progressing !

I did actually get into my workshop TWICE today  :ddb: Once to get the pig wormer, and once to get more castration rings for the lambs  :lol:

Still only five more left to drop and perhaps the 5:30 getting up's can slip to a more civilised hour  :clap:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2014, 05:15:09 PM »
Hi there, David D and Andrew,

Thank you both for your encouragement.   :nrocks:   :nrocks:   :nrocks: 

Andrew, how is your new dog getting on? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »
Living up to his name - Hugo is going to be huge !

Need to correct an obsession with sheep poo which he thinks of as a delicacy
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »
Hi there, Andrew,

Living up to his name - Hugo is going to be huge !

Need to correct an obsession with sheep poo which he thinks of as a delicacy

Our previous German Shepherd loved to roll in delicacies such as fox poo!  She could detect the smallest deposit from great range.  If ever that stuff had acquired a commercial value, she'd have made us a fortune.  Dead and well-rotted rabbit seemed to be her second favourite.  Prevention was difficult but a generous handful of live yoghourt, well rubbed into the coat and then washed out, was the best cure we ever found. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2014, 07:15:28 AM »
Hi there, all,

:update:   :update:   :update: 

I've been away from this project for some weeks, due to other priorities.  This post is really to round off the thread.

We recently managed to get the table saw set up on the 'grass' and rip a 45° chamfer on one corner of a length of 3" x 1" and another on the diagonally opposite corner.  I'd previously cross-cut the board to length.  This length of board was to be the trim-strip or fascia to support the overhanging edge of the end steel roof-sheet.  See this photo:

The first chamfer put a slope on the part of the board that would extend from under the roof-sheet, while the second was to act as a drip to throw off any rain-water running down the outer face.  After applying a couple of coats of Duck's Back and letting them dry, then marking-out and drilling the screw holes, I applied a length of butyl sealing strip to the upper edge of the board.  We then offered up the board and fixed it in place. 
It now looks like this:

All very simple, even too trivial to mention, one might say.  But, this operation was a milestone, it's the last stage of the re-roofing project.   :clap:   :clap:   :clap: 

As you can see from my thread on the ML7 Quick-Change Gear-Box, I've started to do some work IN the shed.  I'm already noticing the benefit of the improved roof insulation and I anticipate that I shall be able to work in the shed more often in the extremes of winter cold and summer heat. 
I just have to get used to the sound of the rain on the steel sheets.   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:  Goodness knows what the noise of hailstones will be like! 
Best regards,

Pete W.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
 :ddb: :ddb: I'm looking forward to the topping out ceremony and workshop warming party  :ddb: :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DavidA

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
Pete,

Where did you get your roof panels from ?  I really could do with re-roofing my big shed.

I spent Saturday, Sunday and Monday doing some major rebuilding,  mostly cutting out old wood and making new. As I go back to work tomorrow I was looking forward to finishing it off today.  But last night I had a couple of deep fried chicken legs and spent the time between two and three AM with my head down the toilet.  Today I feel much better,  but still a bit shaky.
However, as I only work mornings I can get back in harness in the afternoons. The walls of my shed are packed with glass fibre  insulation so it is nice and warm once the pot belly gets going.

Nice roof,  by the way.

Dave :thumbup:

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »
Hi there, David,

Thank you for your post.  I hope that you soon feel better!

Regarding the roof sheets, if you go on to eBay and do a search for, e.g., 'corrugated steel roof sheets' you'll get a good number of hits.  They usually offer a choice of 'wavy' corrugations or box-section and also a choice of colours.

Several of those listers also supply 'outside' eBay so it's worth checking how prices vary.  Also, for a small quantity, shipping is a big proportion of the total price so it's worth checking where each potential supplier is in relation to your own location.  If you're offered an 'all-in' package price (including roof sheets, flashing, fixings, sealing strip and shipping) do the sums to check how that compares to the listed prices for each item separately.

My supplier cut my sheets to my specified length - I had to pay extra for that. 
Best regards,

Pete W.