Author Topic: Roasting Bottle Jack  (Read 8605 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Roasting Bottle Jack
« on: May 24, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »
Hi Guys,
             I have had this clockwork roaster for some time and have only just got round to assessing the problems. I really need some advice on exactly how the mechanism works, and how to correctly assemble. The key hole cover is marked Geo.Salter Warrented Improved. I have seen this mechanism on the internet, and I believe there are no parts missing. My assessment is there is some misalignment of  the wheels and pinions causing excessive friction. The suspension cord support needs remaking and the items in the mechanism need to be in the correct relationship with each other.
    The weight of the meat pulls down a spring, operating a detent type clutch. The meat rotates four revs. while tightening the string, which then unwinds in the reverse direction. One wind lasts about on hour. The verge lower pallet releases the geared quadrant, which stops after a quarter turn. This is the point where I became stuck.   Help!!   Cheers David

Offline chipenter

Re: Roasting Bottle Jack
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »
Is there any means of adjusting the end float on crown wheel journal , to allow both pallets to clear the teeth on the crown wheel ?
Jeff

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 01:48:06 AM »
Hi Chipenter,
                     There is no screw type adjustment, but there is a steel washer between the crown wheel, on the teeth side and its support bracket, estimated at 1/2mm thickness, which could be adjusted.
    The crown wheel does appear to function correctly, and reicprocates the gear quadrant, I think it is frictional build up in the bearings that is preventing this part from operating.
           Another point I forgot to mention, do you know how many turns are required on the string, to provide the necessary torque to enable the meat to reverse.

Cheers David

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:23:13 AM »
I have not seen one of those before I make clocks , I take it you have had it apart to clean it , the best way to clean the bearing holes (jurnals) is with a piece of orange wood cocktail stick , and twirl it in the hole if there is black on the stick scrape it off with a sharp knife until it comes out clean , then oil the jurnals when it is back together .
Jeff