Author Topic: Miniature Scraper plane  (Read 28673 times)

Offline micktoon

Re: Miniature Scraper plane
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »
 Spot on Ralph, lovely job  :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap:, You will finally be able to have a nights sleep now ........ and something to eat lol , its even smaller than I thought once you see it in your hand. Thats quite some collection you have on the wall there too, a really good topic to make and collect , there are so many different styles and types of wood working tools you will never run out of new ones to make either !.
 The only thing I would say Ralph , I think the two finer knurls you re made look better than the rear courser one clamping the blade at the rear, on the photos anyway. Whats next on the list once you have caught up on some sleep ?

Cheers Mick.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 10:02:36 PM »
Wow, beautiful!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 09:04:43 AM »
Andyf,  Thanks for coming along.  I appreciate your support along the way on this build.  It turned out about right.  Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 10:59:15 AM »
Thanks Mick.  You have been most encouraging and supportive along the way.  Such motivates one to continue to strive for higher levels of excellence and to invest the time and effort to document and post a build progression.  I feel that we have met personally and worked together.  And your advise is right on.  That lever cap knurl does appear out of place -- out of shape, and it detracts from the model.  I had meant to redo that part then got in a hurry to post and neglected to do so.  It is done now, and its much more pleasing.  You commented about my tool board;  I'll post some pics of that.   Thanks again, partner.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:02:01 PM by flyingtractors1 »

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 11:02:49 AM »
Well heck.  I had forgotten that I had already posted those pics in a seperate string under "miniature tool collection"  Oh well, I'll get back to work.  Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »
Thanks vsteam.  You have been supportive all along the way, and it has been important to me that you voiced your presence .  I sense your wisdom and value it highly.  Thanks for your encouragement.  Ralph

Offline micktoon

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »
  Hi Ralph , glad my comments have encouraged you along the way  :thumbup: , I am glad you have re posted them photos as some how I must have missed them first time around. If the photos were just posted under wood wroking tool collection , I dont think that many people would even realise they were small scale  :clap: they are that good they just look like the real thing  :bow: :bow:  :drool: :drool:
  I hesitated before mentioning the rear knurled nut Ralph as it seemed like knocking a beautiful thing but I also know sometimes when I make things its easy to get so used to the item as you make it , all looks spot on to yourself yet someone else looking at it will spot something that is not in tune with the rest, I thought you would be on to it anyway , once you had got some shut eye  :lol:  . I know with oil painting and also doing stained glass work sometimes veiwing your project in a mirror can show up things you just could not see looking at things the normal way, it sort of tricks the eye to  seeing it in a fresh light.

keep up your fine work Ralph , I for one have really enjoyed seeing it , thanks for posting  :beer:

Cheers Mick

Offline Harvey Melvin Richards

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »
Very nice work Ralph. I have a Lie-Nielsen Scraper Plane that I love to use. Your model makes my small plane look like a monster.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »
Thanks Harvey.  I tried to model this miniature after a Lie-Nielsen.  I' love to have a full scale tool.  Aren't you the lucky one?  Ralph

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 04:47:41 PM »
Ralph, with your skills, can't you just make a full-size replica?

Andy.
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »
Thanks again Andy.  Yes, building a full scale model would be less challenging.  The trick is making a unique 1/4 scale model.  My specialty is building miniatures, but some day I may build a full scale model, or I might just buy one.  I would love to have one -- some day.  Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
Here's a little cutie -- Bull nose plane.  Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »
A comparative scale.  Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
The wife thought the tiny Bull nose plane was so cute, and she "would just Love to have a 1/2 size pair for ear rings". That's the thanks I get! As if building the tiny size wasn't tough enough, now I get to do it twice more at half that scale.   :loco:  Ralph

That was a Challenge.  Now an even Greater Challenge will be to make another one just like it.  I have found that in fabricating my miniature pieces, every piece is unique, and making another just like it is virtually impossible  --  except when employing the "Lost wax" process.  But that entails a totally different set of much more complicated procedures, including building and painstakenly and accurately cutting complex rubber molds then injecting them with molten wax to produce identical patterns, etc. etc.  So I will try to fabricate an identical piece to complete a set of ear rings.   Ralph

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »
Its ok if I call the insanity ward on this one??

Im amazed bu these but i question the sanity of making them. I would get so darn frustrated. ;))
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
Thanks, NeoTech.  Yea, if I wasn't crazy, I'd go insane.  They're coming to take me away, ha ha.   :lol:   Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »
See what I mean?  They're coming to take me away -- ho ho.    :lol:    :lol:   Ralph

1/4 size of 1/4 size.  Does that make it 1/16 size?    :loco:   Ralph

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »

Offline micktoon

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
Hi Ralph , its like russian dolls but with wood planes lol, ..........how is it that I would not be too surprised to see an even smaller one appear  :bugeye: I bet you could turn a nut into a clam shell type box now if you so desired  :dremel:

Keep up the interesting work Ralph , Cheers Mick.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2013, 06:12:52 PM »
Great stuff Ralph  :bow: :bow: :bow: 

I always enjoy seeing your latest miniature masterpiece  :thumbup:

Rob 

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »
Well, here's that pair -- for ear rings?   Ralph

Another comparative scale shot.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 06:36:43 PM »
Ralph

and  .

What else is there to say.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »
I'm very impressed with the level of your work  :bow: :bow: :bow: But please keep it up, I'm really enjoying watching it  :beer:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
Thanks Gents.  Here's one out of the old archives.  I was impressed with this Knowles plane (circa 1827) that appeared in an old book.  It is said to be among the first metal planes.  I formed a wax pattern and cast it (lost wax) in sterling silver some time ago, and it is still among my favorites.  Ralph

I don't know if I should start a new thread or if this one can be renamed now that it includes more than the original intent " Miniature Scraper Plane ".  I have other items to post but wonder if they will get lost under the current title.  Can someone help?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:06:10 PM by flyingtractors1 »

Offline micktoon

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
Hi Ralph , I cant hep with your thread question but think you are right , other items will get lost under the title of scraper plane so probably better being called Micro engineering or something  :D .
  Those earings will be perfect for those occasions when you go out for a mean and have a rocky table  :thumbup: ........... excuse me Dear could you lend my one of your earings to take a tad off the bottom of this table leg  :lol: ...................... useful as well as good looking , what more could a lady want   :clap:

Cheers Mick