Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 8015 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
What is this?
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:56:24 AM »
Has anyone got any idea what on earth this is. It looks lovely, but I just haven't a clue!!

I don't have a idea so no idea who to ask!! If anyone can tell me or point me in the right direction.

Chris

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:07:03 AM »
Photo's are way too large to view on most screens they should be reduce to about 1000 pixels on a side. I had too move the slider way to many times and still couldn't get a good look at the photo's. It would also help if you would rotate either the photo or the camera when taking the photo! From what can be seen in the thumbnail I would guess some type of surveying transit
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
Images direct off iPad. Can't change until I get home! Just promised my grandad I'd post them and try and find out.

Chris

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:20:16 AM »
It looks like an old theodolite, a surveyor’s instrument for measuring angles. They are all now electronic and use GPS coordinates to measure mangles. They would be used for setting out sites for new buildings etc.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »
It looks like an old theodolite, a surveyor’s instrument for measuring angles. They are all now electronic and use GPS coordinates to measure mangles. They would be used for setting out sites for new buildings etc.

Yep, that's what it is, a surveying tool. Do a search for 'brass theodolite'.

lordedmond

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 12:03:50 PM »
looks like a 'dumpy' to me as has been suggested by others

Stuart

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
Images direct off iPad. Can't change until I get home! Just promised my grandad I'd post them and try and find out.

Chris

What about shrinking online? Just found this:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Doesn't Ipad have onboard photo editing though?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »

Doesn't Ipad have onboard photo editing though?

Enhance , red eye , rotate and crop - no resize that I can see.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »
Thanks for the useful replies guys! Now you have said it, googling certainly suggests that it is a theodolite! My grandad will be chuffed when I tell him what it is - every few months he asks me to find out and I never bring my camera. Today when I randomly had my ipad I thought it was an ideal opportunity to take a pic and post it directly online. I'm pleased the oversize pictures didn't make it impossible for all of you to identify it for me! Thanks once again chaps.

Chris

Offline Pete.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »
looks like a 'dumpy' to me as has been suggested by others

Stuart

Strictly speaking, it's not a dumpy because a dumpy only works on one plane (horizontal). It's a level checking/setting tool.

lordedmond

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »
opps  red face i blame the AGE factor

Stuart

Offline Shadow

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
I used to be in the survey instrument repair business. I have worked on instruments dating as old as 1873. I am not familiar with the instrument shown and would suggest taking it to a instrument shop in your area before attacking the brass with any polishing compound. If the instrument has any value, alteration could destroy some value.

The straight knurled knobs and rather straight angular features may suggest it is a more modern day copy, not an orginal of any particular maker.

I have an old instrument someone held up to a buffing wheel and seemingly removed a green deposit. The excess black buffing compound was left in recesses and odd shaped areas. The instrument as manufactured had a green finish applied over the brass, it was not discolored brass. The result was an instrument that was intact in every other aspect, including the spider web crossgair, but now the finish was destroyed.

Offline philf

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 04:11:50 AM »
Has anyone got any idea what on earth this is. It looks lovely, but I just haven't a clue!!

I don't have a idea so no idea who to ask!! If anyone can tell me or point me in the right direction.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Don't get your Grandad too excited.

It's really an ornamental object probably made in India.

See:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-SOLID-BRASS-THEODOLITE-Alidade-SURVEY-INSTRUMENT-/121114260104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c32f8f288#ht_2707wt_1170

for an identical (although shiny) one.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 08:42:43 AM »
opps  red face i blame the AGE factor

Stuart

X 2. The advantage of a theodolite is that you can change the angle in uneven terrain so you had less setups. But the maths is a lot more complex to calculate distance. When leveling it, follow the left hand thumb rule. Pick any two knobs and put the thumbs of each hand on them. Either move your two thumbs out and away from each other or in and towards each other. The levelling bubble will follow the left hand thumb. Get it level one way then pick a different set of two knobs and repeat. Continue until level which should be quick unless you break the rule!
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »

Chris

Hi Chris,

Don't get your Grandad too excited.

It's really an ornamental object probably made in India.

See:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-SOLID-BRASS-THEODOLITE-Alidade-SURVEY-INSTRUMENT-/121114260104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c32f8f288#ht_2707wt_1170

for an identical (although shiny) one.

Cheers.

Phil.

Haha... Oh dear!!! That definitely looks identical to mine!!

Great find Phil. Pity it isn't anything special but at least I know what it is!

Chris