Author Topic: Lens Spanner  (Read 5073 times)

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
Lens Spanner
« on: May 30, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »
I am in the process of trying to fix one of my camera lenses. The mounting rings are threaded in and have a notch on opposite sides that require either a special spanner or two crossed over screwdrivers to undo it. Of course the screwdrivers never work and I normally end up ruining the notches and scratching the lens.
This time I thought that I would do it properly and make a tool especially for the job. A couple of hours work and bits of metal that I had laying around produced the spanner shown here. I first needed the flat tips that are shown loose and today I made the pin tips that are fitted to it. I had to sacrifice a 1.5mm drill for the pins but it was well worth it. I can use it with every confidence that it won't slip and destroy the lens and can make new tips for any other sizes. I am going to add a threaded rod through the centre to make adjustment simpler.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Lens Spanner
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
NormanV

Very nice tool there Norman. It is sometimes a pain having to make a tool for a special use like that but you will smile every time you use it with confidence that no lenses will be harmed today. Thanks for sharing it with us.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best