Author Topic: Anyone ever built their own mag chuck?  (Read 6237 times)

Offline websterz

Anyone ever built their own mag chuck?
« on: February 28, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
The prices on fine pole mag chucks, even used ones, are a bit out of my range right now. I am restoring a Gallmeyer & Livingston #25 surface grinder and need a small chuck for grinding nickel-sized parts. I have a 2x4x1/2" neodymium magnet...sucker will lift over 300 pounds. I am thinking of a camlock that will raise and lower the magnetic inside an aluminum chuck housing with a steel top plate. Magnetizing the entire surface should give similar holding power as a fine pole shouldn't it? What are your thoughts?
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

bogstandard

Re: Anyone ever built their own mag chuck?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »
Welcome Websterz, hope you enjoy your visit, and have a good look around. We will try to help as much as possible.

I think Ralph (Divided He_ad) showed a utube vid of a Russian chappie who had made his own. It was very informative and could be made with the instructions given.

Maybe Ralph can remember where he put it, and get a link in to help you out.

John

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 11:57:41 PM »
Well,

Firstly :  Hi Websterz :wave: 

Secondly :   The Russian is a Brazilian and it's in your Youtube thread John   :lol:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=648.0

Should get there from this link!

Guy's name is Luiz .... Does a good job to make the videos universal (by that I mean some English subtitles as well as good videography) and is a nice guy to exchange pleasentrys with IMHO.

Well worth checking out his other stuff too  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:05:08 AM »
Hi Websterz:-

:offtopic:

Just though I'd say hello, sorry can,t help much with the chuck but good luck with the project anyway.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline websterz

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »
Well,

Firstly :  Hi Websterz :wave: 

Secondly :   The Russian is a Brazilian and it's in your Youtube thread John   :lol:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=648.0

Should get there from this link!

Guy's name is Luiz .... Does a good job to make the videos universal (by that I mean some English subtitles as well as good videography) and is a nice guy to exchange pleasentrys with IMHO.

Well worth checking out his other stuff too  :thumbup:

Ralph.

That is EXACTLY what I needed!  :bow: :mmr: I will start tomorrow and post updates as they become available.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline websterz

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 06:41:19 AM »
Okay, the single magnet approach isn't going to work. The problem being the poles of this particular magnet lie on the long narrow sides, not the wide flat surfaces.  :bang: Unless I build a sideways chuck it's not going to work. I checked on that E*** place and found a great deal on some surplus HD magnets like Luiz used...86 of them to be exact!  :thumbup: For the ridiculously low price of $39 and change they will be here next week and I will have plenty of material to work with. Pics will follow.

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 08:07:37 AM »
Just hope the postal service keeps the package away from ferrous stuff, otherwise your package will weigh a few tons. :lol:

Bogs

Offline websterz

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:15:46 PM »
Just hope the postal service keeps the package away from ferrous stuff, otherwise your package will weigh a few tons. :lol:

Bogs

Maybe it'll pass thru Canada and arrive encrusted in Loonies and Twonies.  :ddb: