Author Topic: how do I remove the operating scres on a 4 jaw chuck  (Read 5238 times)

Offline paulmo101

how do I remove the operating scres on a 4 jaw chuck
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
Hi Folks

As the title - I`m about to replace two broken operating screws on my Burnerd 5" 4 jaw independent chuck but I cant see how they are held in the chuck.   There is a sort of blanking plug on the back (mounting side) behind each operating screw but there is no indication of how these are removed and if they are relevant to removing the operating screws.  I have not removed the back plate itself as its only small ( for a viceroy/Boxford mounting) and I dont think its is hiding anything.
The chuck is virtually new and came with my ex school viceroy lathe and I`ve never used the chuck but was inspired by Johns video on setting items up quickly in the four jaw.  I was dissapointed when I noticed two screws were broken quite bad but I managed to source a couple at £36.00 Each !.  I`m just waiting for them to arrive now before attempting to fit them.
I would be grateful of any help or advice as I dont want to cause any more damage to the chuck.

Cheers

Paul

Offline chipenter

Re: how do I remove the operating scres on a 4 jaw chuck
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:19:44 PM »
When you remove the jaws lift the screw clear of the seating and slide each screw out , some lift straight up some have to slide in the grooves , don't mess with those blanking plugs as they are an interference fit and hold the screw in .
Jeff

Offline paulmo101

Re: how do I remove the operating scres on a 4 jaw chuck
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:24:06 PM »
Hi
Big thanks for the reply.

What I found when I removed the jaws ( and looked at my new Screws) was that they had a really deep waist between the two threads and were retained in the chuck by a fork type of arrangement which was part of the blanking plug as mentioned.
Becuase of the deep waist there was no way of removing the screw as it was a really good fit in the fork and also in the chuck body itself.  Having had a look around on the internet I saw mention of using a small drift from the front of the chuck and carefully drifting either side of the fork alternately towards the rear of the chuck just until you could remove the screws by sliding them upwards ( away from the centre) and this did the trick.
After cleaning the area of the chuck under the screws I lightly oiled everything and placed the new screw  into its slot and then carefully knocked the blanking plug/fork assembly from the rear of the chuck towards the front of the chuck until the screw was securely held.
Everything now seems ok.
I will now have a play after watching johns video again.

Cheers

Paul