Author Topic: A very hectic, but good day  (Read 3641 times)

bogstandard

A very hectic, but good day
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:54:26 AM »
Things are now picking up.

On Friday, the medicos finally got me sorted, pain relief at last (not perfect but bearable). Without it, I just wouldn't have been able to get thru yesterday.

It all started around 9am, I had planned the day perfectly.

Get Darrens lathe ready for showing him how it was performing, double check Peter's tramming tool to make sure it was fully calibrated. Then 11am, things were being prepared to have a large lunch to get us thru the day, then after a quick clean up of the shop, ready for our visitors, due to start arriving after 12. SWMBO geared up for making coffee during the day, and Bandit warned to be on his best behaviour.

Then the spanner hit the works, a mate turned up unexpectedly, just on 11. Although everyone is made welcome in our open house, this wasn't what was needed. So large expected lunch, was converted into a very quick snack, and my mate (a scouser who could talk for ten people, and has a knowledge base where he could tell you the name of every extra in the Ben Hur crowd scenes, even down to the size of their shoes) was warned that he would have to curtail his normal 4 hour visit to about an hour. We only have a very small house, and any more than four or five people in one area could soon become very crowded. Plus the shop cleanup had to be cancelled.

First to arrive was Darren, after a desperate epic journey from deepest Wales, he was ready for a cup of coffee and a rest.

Not long after, Stew arrived, bearing a most fantastic gift. A top of the range benchtop die filer. So the three of us got that under protective cover, and it will be moved into the shop on Monday. Thank you very much Stew, I have projects now that can be completed in days, rather than the expected weeks. I will post piccies when it is all set up.

So now we could settle down for a chat and get two people introduced properly, and as usual when a gang like this gets together, it is though we had known each other for years. Darren brought out the lump of half shaft he had machined up, and Stew and myself were both impressed at how well that bit of rough stuff had turned out. I proudly displayed the new bits my friend had brought back from Little Machine Shop for me. Unfortunately Stew could only make it a short visit, and had to say his goodbyes all too soon.

So the pair of us soon ended up in the shop, and Darren was introduced to his new lathe. I think he was rather impressed when I put it thru it's paces, and showed just how nice a finish it now produced. He was happy with the result, I was over the moon because that was the project that got me back into the shop after such a long layoff. A win/win situation.

Just like the first time Darren visited, he was like a kid in a sweet shop, looking at how I had made bits of tooling and things. I have no problems with things like that at all, the more info I can pass on, the better.

As normal, when visitors are not local, I ask them to bring along anything that they are either having trouble with or just don't have the facilites to do themselves. The first one, recutting a tailstock rams' morse taper, was carried out in quick fashion and was out of the way in no time. The second was silver soldering up a stainless banjo fitting. After a bit of instruction about fluxes and how and where to get the heat into the job, that was done in a couple of minutes. With an amazed look on Darrens face, I think he learned a lot with just a few minutes of showing. It is easy to describe how to do something on the internet, but sometimes physical instruction gets it over much more easily.

A bit about parting off and tool height setting, and I think Darren now sees a few areas where he might be doing some things wrong. Only when he puts it into practice will we know.

After a root around the shop, we had a little goody bag made up for Darren to remind him of his visit, plus I managed to unload some bulky bits that had been standing in my garden for a while.

The afternoon flew by, and soon it was time for Darren to start his long trek home.

So while we were loading his car up with all his bits and bobs, Peter (HS93) and his lovely wife turned up. So it was new quickie introductions all around, and trying to keep Bandit under control (he loves meeting new people) we got one visitor on his way home, and the two new visitors settled in.

The ladies soon disappeared into the living room to beat their gums about only women know what, and Peter and myself got to meet each other for the first time.

The only contact I had had with Peter was internet PM's and emails. He has a wonderful knack of hitting my soft spot with humour at each opening of every email, and I had no idea of the sort of person who was going to turn up at my door.

I knew Peter had a health problem, but didn't realise until I met him in person just how bad life had treated him from such an early age. All I can say is that my little ailments palled into insignificance when compared to the person I was talking to. When Peter showed us his fantastic brasswork on the model boats he makes, all I can say is that I am amazed at how he manages to do it all. Also coupled to the fact he has a sense of humour and outlook on life that has to be admired. Nice one Pete.

Peter had come along to pick up his new mill tramming tool and have the vice he had purchased flatted off on the bottom, as it wobbled about a bit on it's base. So into my little shop we went.

After showing him around my swarf filled empire, we got down to some serious stuff, out came the elbow engine and the larger turbine I had made. And making enough noise to wake the dead, we had them up and running.

So onto the mill to see what could be done with this vice. Using a 3-2-1 block, the two vices were soon joined together in about the best setup you could get for such work, and the flycutter was sent on it's way. The base was in fact bowed, and soon showed up in the cuts the cutter was making, it also showed that there were areas of harder chilled material all over the place. Eventually, the base was flat, the best it could be for being done on the mill. I suggested mounting it onto the surface grinder, but Peter said that what had been done would be good enough. At least the vice now sat down level without rockin' 'n rollin'.

All too soon it was time for our last visitors to depart on their voyage home, thankfully not too far away.

I hope the visitors enjoyed their short stays, and hope they return in the not too distant future.

For Mal, Bandit and myself, I think we haven't enjoyed company like this for a long time. So if any members are passing close by, you are always welcome to drop in for a coffee and a chat.

9pm in the evening, we had our early lunch.

Many thanks to those who called in.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: A very hectic, but good day
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:22:07 AM »
As always it was a pleasure to visit John and to meet Darren, it's always good to put a face to a name, both real nice guys, Sorry I missed you Peter as I had to get back to travel to Manchester, next time perhaps.

You'l have to be carful Peter letting John show you his engines thats how you catch  :proj:

Saturday seamed to be a good day for us  :mmr:

I had a realy fun time milling the hub for the Elbow fly wheel seeing John and meeting Darren:- my team wone and are now out of the relegation zone, and my wife and I had had a good day in Manchester going to a concert at the MEN to see "Snow Patrol".  :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

Have Fun
 :wave:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:28:19 AM »
John it was nice to Meet you and your good wife, and thanks again for the help (vice)and tram, It's nice to see what people are like after swoping mail for some time , oh and to meet Bandit and the cat.I have not had a chance to use the tram as I have a job set up in the mill that is nearley finnished so as soon as its done its tram time. It would have been finnished but removing a chuck on a MT2 I gave the draw bar a tap as normal and the 1/2" chuck flue off and got my big tow, the thing has been on for months so after a bit of hopping I called it a night, I normally have hold of it but as I only back the draw bar off a few turns I normally have no problems, so I am a bit like Skippy , it has been cleaned and stuck on with 303 locktite, that may help. so a nice eventfull day .

also Daren sorry i did not get a chance to chat but your anothere person I can put a face to

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:19:07 AM »
I love days like that. I am envious... One day I will get over there.  :borg:

Sounds like a good day all around. Glad you gents had a good day.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:04:17 PM »
Sounds like fun..... If I'd have realised there was a party on I'd have traveled over from the slightly less dark area of northern Wales. Then we would have had some fun all fitting in!!!                                                             :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:.... Conga anyone??  :D

Your scouser mate sounds like he has my illness John.... never knowing when your being nudged to leave!!!  :lol:   (you have to tell us talkative types when our time is up!)

I haven't found it yet.... But I'm sure there's a post on lathe performance coming from Darren?  :)

Stew.... Snow patrol.....  :headbang:  Rock on!!!!  :)

It's always fun to meet others who you chat with online.... You never know what to expect   :bugeye:   :lol:

I think Harrogate should be interesting?             :mmr:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm a bit late here as I've not had a moment to turn around. Got back around 11pm last night after dropping by a friends on the way home.
And today I've had the greatest of pleasure plaster boarding a ceiling in the basement. Two layers, one Soundblock and one fireboard. If you have ever used either then you'll have an inkling of just how tired I am now.

Getting to Johns Yesterday was a bit of an ordeal due to to the traffic, I hit an eight mile crawl on the A55 which as usual seemed for no apparent reason?
Thus a 2hr journey turned into a 3hr one. Still, great to finally arrive and receive such a warm welcome from John and his good Lady. Bandit even tried to give me his bone, but I thought it better leave it with him when I left..

Even though I knew what to expect from my previous visit, it still takes me by surprise just how welcome you are made to feel at the Bog empire. 

Shortly after Stew tuned up and we had a chance to chat for a short while before he had to leave again. He showed up his flywheel. First real thing to cut on his new milling machine he stated....you had to see it to realise that this man has great talent. A true work of art, I couldn't spot any whoops marks either....respect  :bow:

John showed me my little lathe that he's been tickling of late. And tickle it mightily he did too. The "rough" join in the bed machining (OK he never said it was rough, but it would have been if it had been left to me) Well I just couldn't find this join, I did look honest !
Most of the work done to the lathe was pretty hidden, just a bit showing here and there. But when a length was stuck in the vice and machined I had to marvel at the improvement.
This is NOT the same machine. Not by any stretch of the imagination. The finish under power was superb and nothing like the roughness it produced previously.
I am going to enjoy using this little lathe from now on and it will certainly have it's place in my workshop.

Don't worry Ralph, I have some jobs coming it's way soon.... :thumbup:

Then we moved onto Silver soldering my little banjo bolt for the Lister engine. Soldering is soldering right. Er, well not quite it seems. I have done a lot of soldering in my time, both electrical and copper plumbing. Easy eh?
If I had tried silver soldering without Johns demonstration there is no question that I would have failed for not one but several reasons. Thank you John, one to one instruction is about as good as it gets and now I have a pretty good idea to be getting on with.

Parting on the lathe, yep don't sound much does it. Unless like me you'd misunderstood one tiny little detail on the how to. Again a little demo showed it all.
Note to me: have the parting tool at center height or a tinsy winsy bit high, but never low.... :doh: Use a rule to determine height. Must put a picture up for a demonstration in one of my posts.

We chatted quite some, I picked up a lot more than John probably realised.

Pss, who sells those index tools John, I can't find them singularly, only in expensive sets. The ones where the tip is turned 90deg.

Sadly I didn't get the chance to speak properly to Pete, I'd been there a while before he came and I really needed to be heading back. Next time Pete, hope you had as good a time as I did.

Thank you again John for everything, a truly inspirational chap you are....in many ways... :med:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:47:23 AM »
Darren,

Down a bit on this page, look for the line drawn ones.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Glanze_Indexable_Lathe_Tools_77.html

Don't expect fast delivery from this supplier.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »
Thanks John,

I couldn't find them for the want of trying  :doh:

Spotted it...... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)