Author Topic: Wheel rim forge  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
Wheel rim forge
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:17:13 AM »
I thought I had posted this over on MetalWorkingFun but couldn't find it, so I thought I would post it here.

I wanted something for heating parts to bend or to anneal them (gee you have to watch spell check - it wanted to change anneal to anal  :palm: ).

It is all pretty simple, an old split rim from a Toyota Landcruiser, a length of steel pipe and an old rim as a base.  Air is introduced via a vacuum motor and comes out through the wheel stud holes.  I had to vary the design a few times, as the first one simply shot hot coals into the air and had me ducking for cover!  You will need to play around with this.  although I found that by restricting the stud holes and piercing several holes in the centre with my plasma cutter produced a decent result.  I have been using hard wood flooring off cuts, as I get these for free.  I cut the slots in the side to allow a long length of steel to be heated.  I added some mesh to stop hot coals dropping out and melting the vacuum hose (don't ask how I discovered that). 

Pics tell the story - some on the basic build, some tongs I made (to grab a steel 'crucible' I made), annealing a hardened steel drill coupler and some aluminium I melted:

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: Wheel rim forge
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:28:10 AM »
I use the same principle but using a breakdrum of the old castiron type found on lorries old american cars and trucks. :)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »
Hi Darren  :thumbup:

Nice going  :clap: :clap:,,,,,,,,I may build a forge over my holidays  :palm:

Rob

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »
Bugger me Rob - how much time do you get for your holidays?  Should I list the things you already have on the go?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 12:12:04 PM »
I have a week off  :)

A wife free week too  :ddb: :ddb:

Rob

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:21:30 PM »
Mayhem, is there something under the wheel to direct air to the holes?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 06:22:18 AM »
A plate is welded to the bottom of the rim, so that the air can only pass through the stud holes or the centre hole (over which another plate was welded and small holes added - as seen in the previous pics).

Here is a picture of the underside: