Author Topic: My shop is underway...  (Read 8896 times)

Offline ConductorX

• The Volkswright Shop
My shop is underway...
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
Finally started my shop.  It is one of those enclosed "carports" 20 x 20.  It went up in about 6 hours and took me longer to paint the floor after.

"G"

Offline Swarfing

Re: My shop is underway...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:53:54 PM »
Wow! space for a mezzanine as well in there with that height?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline Deko

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »
Good thing you live somewhere warm, it would cost a small fortune to warm all that space up in a UK winter. :bugeye:  Great looking workshop though.

Cheers Dek. :med:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »
ooo nice

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »
Nice space!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline ConductorX

• The Volkswright Shop
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 07:52:07 AM »
Thanks for the good words everyone.  It will be easy to heat except for the high ceiling.   Last winter we actually had frost about 6 times.  The last time it snowed was 2008.

The eave height is 12 feet, I want to put in a two or four post lift for my car projects.

I also plan to air condition the shop since our problem here is heat and humidity.   

Thanks again, "G"

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
All that space - WOW!   :bow:   :bow:   :bow: 

And SIX HOURS!   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap: 

I feel duly humbled. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »
Looks like it will be a great shop!

Boy, I envy you the flat open ground, probably easy sandy soil, and low heat requirements -- though I imagine air conditioning will cost similar to heat unless it will be insulated.  And, of course the speed of construction and slab floor are wonderful. Frost heaves here make slabs complicated.  :(

Excellent shop!  :thumbup: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline ConductorX

• The Volkswright Shop
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »
Looks like it will be a great shop!

Boy, I envy you the flat open ground, probably easy sandy soil, and low heat requirements -- though I imagine air conditioning will cost similar to heat unless it will be insulated.  And, of course the speed of construction and slab floor are wonderful. Frost heaves here make slabs complicated.  :(

Excellent shop!  :thumbup: :clap:

We pay for it in the summer time.  Working on an open concrete slab is like working on a hot griddle, just add some butter.  I am planning spray in foam insulation so it should be easy to air condition.   While I was painting the floor the temp was close 100F outside but inside with a fan running it was pretty comfy.  My big concern is machine tools rusting overnight in the humidity.

For welding and dismantling cars I plan to have an open carport with slab under half and clay on the other half.  The open sides will provide plenty of fresh air and the carport roof will provide much needed shade. 

Our soil is heavy clay, hard to dig but very supportive of concrete slabs.

"G"

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
Why leave clay under half the car port? I would have though a concrete slab would be far more convenient - sweepable, 'jack against able' etc
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline ConductorX

• The Volkswright Shop
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 08:38:22 AM »
Why leave clay under half the car port? I would have though a concrete slab would be far more convenient - sweepable, 'jack against able' etc

I also plan a blacksmith furnace and I want to melt and pour metal.  I have read that if I spill molten metal onto concrete it will explode from the sudden heat and changing water in the slab to steam.  I'll have 30' x 30' with concrete for jacking up cars and such.  The clay area of equal size for melting metal and doing torch work when dismantling cars.  Hard packed clay won't be that much different than the concrete.  I may have to add more in from time to time.

"G"

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »
You know, G, I thought the same thing about concrete and pouring metal, but I've seen mixed reports and opinions about that lately, and from people I respect who have poured for a long time.

I think that for me, if and when I can build a melting shed, I will go with concrete floors, but just spread some sand on top of it around where spills are most likely -- by the furnace and the pouring area for the flasks. It can be swept up when not needed. Seems like you'd have the advantages of both.

Clay might be as much of a problem if it gets wet -- as it will if you get both rain and wind. So I'd still use sand over it in a pouring area. But lucky you for the clay -- maybe it is refractory enough to be useful in casting operations!

Steve

Offline ConductorX

• The Volkswright Shop
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 07:42:01 AM »
You know, G, I thought the same thing about concrete and pouring metal, but I've seen mixed reports and opinions about that lately, and from people I respect who have poured for a long time.

I think that for me, if and when I can build a melting shed, I will go with concrete floors, but just spread some sand on top of it around where spills are most likely -- by the furnace and the pouring area for the flasks. It can be swept up when not needed. Seems like you'd have the advantages of both.

Clay might be as much of a problem if it gets wet -- as it will if you get both rain and wind. So I'd still use sand over it in a pouring area. But lucky you for the clay -- maybe it is refractory enough to be useful in casting operations!

That sounds like a good idea.   I just made a deal with my neighbor,   He is going to remove the big pine trees for me to help clear a space for the additional work area.

"G"

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »
One more thought -- hope you don't mind -- a clay basin will drain into itself, even with sand in it, and hold water. A slab has the advantage that it can be above grade and always drain outwards.
Steve

Offline tekfab

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
It's not big enough, 6 months down the line you'll have run out of space !     :Doh:

Mike

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 09:38:17 AM »
That's true of any workshop!
Steve