Author Topic: Getting my new shop set up  (Read 4289 times)

Offline rschilp

Getting my new shop set up
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:24:52 AM »
A few weeks ago we moved 5000+ miles, moving involved boats, planes, automobiles and trucks, taking my large tools or machines was not an option.

Luckily my wife understands and accepts my projectitis so she agreed to buy a new home with a shopspace and let me do whatever I wanted with it. So now I'm in the fortunate position to get to rebuild my shop to my needs.

The space is a single width, double length garage, with an insulated overhead door that is easy to reach by truck (good for delivering heavy parts) it has a good solid concrete floor, insulation and sheetrock and most of all; ample power, 2- 220v single phase 20A circuits and 1-400v  three phase 16A, should be enough to power some toys tools.

So far I've got and brought from Texas:
  • Every handtool known to mankind (and then some)
  • Engine hoist to move machines and heavy parts
  • Collection of partial projects and supplies
  • HEAVY welding/beating table

What I've added:
  • HBM 45 Profi mill with DRO
  • Some ISO30 tooling (Drillchuck, Collets from 3 to 25mm (1/8" to 1"), Saw arbor+saws, 50mm surfacing, 22mm arbor chuck)
  • Metric hold down kit
  • tool grinder with HSS and carbide stones and drill angle holder
  • small desktop drill press
  • shopvac (a big one) to remove all the chips I plan to make
  • compressor
  • collection of mostly Mitutoyo metric measuring tools
  • 3 150cmx64cm hardwood topped workbenches
  • old kitchen cabinets (4 of them 100cmx60cm each)
  • 12 double bulb 120cm fluorescent lights
  • 5m 400v 3-phase/16amp extension cord

Still to come:
  • Lathe (likely a AI Hembrug DR1S 4000rpm)
  • 1200+C degree oven (alu melting, tempering, annealing)
  • TIG AC/DC welder
  • Propane forge
  • Anvil

I'm VERY happy with my new shop and even started making some parts yesterday for a small pen knife with a homemade damascus blade.

Not trying to brag here, just excited that I get to rebuild my shop after a 5,000 mile+ move and after selling my place in Texas. There are many nice used machines available here and there is a machinist toy store about 20 minutes up the road.

Offline Pete W.

Re: Getting my new shop set up
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 04:16:30 AM »
Hi there, Rschilp,

I wish you all the best with your 'starting again' - a rare opportunity and not a thing we can all enjoy.   :thumbup:   :thumbup:   :thumbup: 

Move ahead with speed but without haste so you soon reach the stage where you can make good use of all your workshop facilities.

:beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:38:47 AM »
 :thumbup: Best of luck with your new workshop Rschilp, it's a great opportunity to 'get it right'. I particularly like the 'peninsular unit' sticking out from your run of benches - handy to get at at least three sides of a project.

I did a similar 'start over' getting on for 6 years ago and still not everything is re-commissioned from then, and my move was only 50 miles! But the objective was to create the 'perfect workshop' and I reckon I pretty well did it. Only problem is - although I have getting on for 4000 sq foot of floor space I've filled it  :bugeye:

Looking at the column of your bench drill, do you have a humidity problem or was is during storage that it rusted? Although I painted my machines with 'Shell Ensis' anti-rust oil I did get quite a bit of damage over the year it was all stored in a friends barn. Mostly on bits I missed with the brush it must be said  :bang:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline rschilp

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:51:43 AM »
Thanks guys.

No rust or humidity problem in the shop, I picked that up like that for €10, a bit of WD40 and a rag and most of it is gone.