Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 9040 times)

MetalCaster

Introduction
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »
Hello, Pat J here.

Been around for a while, I recognize some old faces (figurative statement only) and have followed the very talented casting and model building folks here from the very beginning (beginning being 2009 perhaps).

I generally just lurk these days, but I ran across VT's very nice casting work and had to check in.

Casting video here of my iron pour.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:34:04 PM »
Welcome Pat!

Thanks for checking in here. I sometimes think about your bottle engine. I hope to see it running one day!

:beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline black85vette

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
Hi Pat.   Good to hear from you.   Welcome.

MetalCaster

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
Hey, another oldster, thanks Mr. Vette.

Thanks VT, the bottle engine is going like pulling eye teeth, but maybe someday.
It is definitely a long term project, and the design is not done.

The green twin design is done, so it gets cast next.

I really have to blame Rob Wilson for getting me into all this 3D and casting mess.
I was struggling to get started in 3D and Rob sent me some info (thanks for that) and really inspired me to get into the 3D and casting stuff.
My wife would probably not be so happy with Rob since I filled up her two car garage to the roof, but she doesn't know where Rob lives, so he is safe.

And then I ran across Myfordboy, Doubleboost, and most recently Ironman from downunder, and have just followed along with their videos and techniques.

Before I could not even spell crucible, and I have learned so much that now I can.   :lol:

And of course JasonB keeps egging me along every day like the Energizer Bunny; prolific fellow his is.

I hope to get back into the casting thing shortly and actually make something instead of just be in the learning curve.

Keep up the good work men.

I will post a few screen shots.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 01:15:46 AM »
Hi there Pat

Looking at your engine drawings I see your now a dab hand at the 3D design  :clap: :clap: :clap: very nice  :thumbup:

Rob

MetalCaster

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 03:06:25 AM »
That 3D trainging stuff you sent me worked well.
Thanks for that.  I owe you.

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 05:41:33 AM »
Hi and welcome to us  :wave:

MetalCaster

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »
Thanks saw.

Nice steam engines you have there.
I will have to check those out.

MetalCaster

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 02:02:48 PM »
The 3D thing is quite addictive (the wife says she has a cure for it, but I am not sure I want to hear what that is, but almost certainly is would involve something unpleasant).

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »
Hi
Pat
Nice to have you hear
John

MetalCaster

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »
John-

I have admired your work for many years, and leaned much about casting and pattern making from all of your videos.
Thanks very much for that effort.

Pat J

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 02:02:31 AM »
Hi Pat.

Welcome to the Collective!  :borg:

Enjoy......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 04:03:42 AM »
Hi Pat,
                 Like the video makes me feel hot just looking at it. I am only at the aluminium stage, but have just relined my furnace with 1600c castable refractory in order to climb the step up to brass.
                                                                                                              Cheers David

MetalCaster

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »
Hi David and David-

I have been in learning mode for a long time, and generally just lurking about, but since getting into castings, I thought it best to get out into the world and compare notes with others making their own engine castings.

Brass seems like it has to be watched to prevent overheating.
My first brass pour was a bit of a surprise when the fumes began burning when I opened the furnace and the fresh air met with the fumes.
I had been monitoring the temperature with a pyrometer, but was not sure exactly at what point to pour.
There seems to be a fine line between getting the melt hot enough to pour, but not so hot as to start fume combustion, and not so hot as to start boiling off all the zinc.
The fumes are pretty bad, watch out for those.

I held the temperature slightly lower on the next brass melt, and did not have much trouble with burning fumes on that pour.

Edit:
I was confused about brass and bronze for a long time.
Brass is generally an alloy of copper and zinc, and bronze is generally an alloy of copper and tin.
There are various grades and mixtures for brasses and bronzes, and some have a mixture of copper and both tin and zinc, but generally either the larger percentage of either zinc or tin will determine the characteristics of the metal.
Brass is more tricky to melt and pour due to the fact that the zinc can boil off first if the mix is overheated.

Bronze is more forgiving since the tin is not prone to boil off like zinc, but there are different grades of bronze, and one of the more popular grades of bronze for casting sculptures has a very low machinability.
For model work, expecially engines, I look at the machinability rating first and foremost, and try to keep it in the 80-100% range for any metal I use.

Cast iron is very machinable, and my favorite as far as machinability and use for engines.
Bronze, especially bronzes with a small amount of lead make good bearing material, but be careful to avoid the fumes from leaded metals, and don't handle the chips from leaded metal, or breath dust from grinding/sanding leaded metals.
Brass does not hold up well for bearings in my opinion, it is too soft.
Brass does give that bright yellow look, and can be polished to a miirror finish.
I don't like to machine brass since it is terrible about grabbing the tool bit, usually right near the end of the machining work, and throwing the piece across the room.

Bronze has more of a red tint.

Cast iron can also be polished to a mirror finish very easily, and generally machines to an excelent finish with a sharp tool bit.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:50:07 AM by MetalCaster »

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 03:57:59 PM »
Hi Pat,
           Thanks for your reply, I was particularly interested in the correct pouring temperature for brass, from your experiences and use of a pyrometer at what temperature do you pour to avoid the hazards you mentioned?

Cheers David

MetalCaster

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
David-

I did not take notes on my brass pours, so I did not record the exact temperatures.

The estimated numbers I have for yellow brass are as follows:

melt: 1660-1710 F
pour: 1710-2150 F

I have just begun the casting journey, so perhaps those with more experience can give more exact numbers.

What I did is get the mix molten (above 1710 F) and then watch for white smoke as I heat towards 2000 F.
If I start getting noticeable white smoke, I stop and pour.

You may get some burning of the fumes when you open the furnace and the air hits the fumes, but it is not really a serioius problem, and not something you have to extinguish.
If you get flames, just go ahead and do your skimming, and the mix will cool and the fumes will stop burning fairly quickly.

Not a very accurate description, but that is what I do.
I do use a pyrometer for future reference, but I have yet to religiously begin recording casting data, but I will do that this year.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »
Hi
I have had bad experiences with casting brass
The fumes given off from the zink are really bad for you
Personally I now only cast in bronze much safer and more forgiving than brass
John

MetalCaster

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 05:05:10 PM »
I started having trouble with the fumes from all the metals, even when deliberately trying to avoid breathing them, along with the fumes from smoking petrobond oil.

I purchased a powered respirator with a long hose, and keep the compressor indoors.

I don't have fume problems anymore, but you do have to be very careful if you don't use a powered respirator.

Offline tekfab

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 05:24:22 PM »
I love you guys,  a trillion posts about casting and then right at the end "oh watch out for the fumes"   :nrocks:

Mike

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »
Hi
Mike
Not as bad as grinding some TIG Tungsten  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

MetalCaster

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
Did we tell you about the fumes?

You don't want to breathe them.

The powered respirator was expensive, but not nearly as expensive as a lung transplant.

For aluminum castings, if you avoid standing over the top of the furnace, and stay upwind, you will be ok, but it should be a conscience effort not to breathe in when you are in the fumes.

Pat J

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
Hiya Pat

Welcome(back) to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

MetalCaster

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 09:24:05 PM »
Hey Eric-

Long time, no see.

Thanks, good to see so many familiar faces (screen names actually).

Pat J

Offline krv3000

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »
hi and welcume

MetalCaster

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »
What's up krv.

Another familiar screen name.