Author Topic: New from Australia  (Read 3454 times)

Offline gregt

New from Australia
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:21:03 PM »
Hi all, I just came accross this forum and there's some really interesting stuff on here. I've been a machinist for the last 25 years or so but have just sold my engine shop and now have some time for some projects I've been looking to do for a long time. I work in a jail and given the shifts are 12 hours, it gives me 4 days a week off to do other things plus 7 weeks holidays a year (I wish I had have thought about doing this years ago).

I've got a pretty well setup hobby shop, Colchester Master 2500 lathe, Tormach PCNC1100 with the 4th axis, Cincinnatti Sabre 750 CNC mill (from an auction but not up and running yet), grinders, Mig/Tig welders, car hoist and handtools etc.. still a fair bit of stuff. A little CNC lathe is on the cards in the future, maybe one of the Tormach ones if they get them to market soon.

I do a fair bit of rifle stuff, stocks and other bits and pieces and I'm looking at getting a licence to do some gunsmithing but it's quite a process. I made a lot of my own equipment for the engine shop, a cylinder hone, flowbench, pressure tester etc, I'll try to find some photos of that stuff.

Cheers,
Greg

Below are some photos of some recent bits and pieces I've done:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: New from Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:35:30 PM »
Hiya Greg  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Nice bit of tools you have there. I am jealous! Nice work too. Can you explain what I am looking at in the 1st picture?  Is that going to be a custom framed rifle?

I see the supervisor in the last picture is unimpressed  :lol:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline gregt

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
Hey Eric, that cat is impressed by nothing but cat food.

The first photo is a chassis to fit the Accuracy International stocksides, that one is a Howa rifle, the one at the bottom is a 4.27" left hand Savage. I really like the AICS stocks but I'm not a massive fan of Remington rifles so I make them to suit what I do like.

I've got a basic chassis design and I just change the inlet to suit different actions. Here's a model of the Howa chassis below:

You can see the chassis here with the skins fitted:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 05:28:32 AM »
hi and welcume

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:11:38 PM »
Welcome Greg, this is a good place to hang out.

Jim