Author Topic: Removing studs  (Read 6911 times)

Offline Sid_Vicious

Removing studs
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »
Found this looking around on Youtube...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:53:43 PM by dsquire »
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
Re: Removing studs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:35:09 PM »

That looks pretty good, I've never failed to get them out with just heat though.
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:57:51 AM »
the sound of squeeking metal.. *my ears wanna falloff*
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:21:01 AM »
They are dead easy because you have something to grab.

best ones are when they break inside and someone drills into the stud off centre and gets half in the stud, half in the casting then breaks one of those tapered easy outs in the bloody hole.

THEN brings it to you.
John Stevenson

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
hehe i have punched out annoying bolts like that with the plasma cutter.. gloves and face shield is recommended. ;)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »
They are dead easy because you have something to grab.

best ones are when they break inside and someone drills into the stud off centre and gets half in the stud, half in the casting then breaks one of those tapered easy outs in the bloody hole.

THEN brings it to you.

Then you really need to make a jig to hold things in the right place before reeking more havoc  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline sparky961

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:18:25 PM »
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I worked at an exhaust shop a number of years back so lots of experience with stuff like this.

I see two things that bother me enough to comment on them:

1. Remove the 02 sensor unless doing so is going to cause more damage!  (maybe they said something about this but I didn't have the audio on)

2. Cooling both parts makes no sense.  You want to expand(heat) the outside and shrink(cool) the inside.  Water on a rag works just fine to cool the stud/bolt when you get a really stuck one.  Usually just heating the outside works quite nicely.  Heating quickly is the key here so that minimal heat conducts into the stud/bolt.  The flange should be glowing, the bolt/stud should not.

I also have to agree with everyone's comments on working with someone else's failed attempts.  Before you go at something like this, THINK IT THROUGH!!! :)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »
Yes !!!

Next door neighbour brought me the spare wheel carrier from his 4x4 with all three studs sheared off and half drilled off centre bless him! Ended up mounting it on the milling machine and milled them out

Mind you - he's just taken his family to Egypt on holiday so that says something  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »
True story, probably quite long so go get a coffee.

I served my time with REME, 38 base workshops working on armoured fighting vehicles like the Centurion tank with Rolls Royce Meteor engine and other vehicles also with Rolls engines.

Once we had done our first year in the Apprentice school we were released on the shop floor for two years doing the round of all the various jobs regardless of chosen trade. the last two years were spent in your trade only.
Trades were fitting, tin bashing, welding, electrical and machining.
It was a marvellous apprenticeship as they had the time and manpower to actually teach you.

During that two years you spent as short as one week up to 4 weeks on a section, we always knew what the section was like because of previous apprentices. Some were fun, some really hard work and some plain boring.

One of the boring sections was a week spent with a polish guy who's sole job was to remove broken studs from castings, all by hand, no machine tools and no heat.

He wasn't liked because he was very off handed and just expected an apprentice to watch how he worked. When my turn cam, I sat there as directed and watched him.

Couple of jobs in and getting glassy eyed he picked this thermostat housing up, all covered in crud and 3 broken studs. Removed all 3 studs with seeming no bother but I noticed he used 3 different methods on each stud so I asked him why.

At first he struggled to explain why but slowly got round to it and later I realised that no one had ever asked him why ? before.

From that first day on we got on well and I learnt a lot that was to hold me in good stead for the rest of my working life which is still active. I can honestly say that i have never ever had to give up on getting a stud out or repairing the mess left when others have tried. True I now have MiG TiG and Plasma but these are only tools, you still need knowledge.

What I learnt more though was how to interact with people at their level and because of this I feel I got far more out of my apprentice masters than a lot of the other lads did.

When I go out on site even today it doesn't take me long to find the right guy and get a works trip to see what they make or do. Most love to show your their side of the job and I find it fascinating.

So Mr Polish guy who's name I have forgotten, have a cold one for me.   :thumbup:
John Stevenson

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »
John

Thank you for that.  :clap:

I am sure that we have all had a "Mr Polish guy" some where in our past. It's too bad that we didn't pay attention and ask why when we had the chance.   :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »
I just watched the video and I think I saw a human being with three hands.  I only have two so I would first mount the manifold in a vise or clamp it to the table.  I believe all that movement hindered the bolt removal.  I have the newer type wrench but can not exert enough pressure with my old hands to use it properly.  I would have used a small pipe wrench and, yes, vise grips.

I made a small EDM just for this reason.

I just had a gentleman that wanted me to come to his house, sit on the ground in 90 deg temperature and 80% humidity, using his portable drill and dull bit, to try to remove a broken head bolt in a lawn mower, as he had already tried and failed, because the customer would not pay to remove the engine and bring it to my shop.  I surveyed the situation and returned to my AC shop without the engine.

John, do you remember the three different methods Mr. Polish used?