Author Topic: Pressure gauge for mini hydraulic system  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Bangkok Mick

Pressure gauge for mini hydraulic system
« on: July 27, 2013, 01:44:27 AM »
I am building a mini hydraulic jack system and am thinking to use a pressure gauge same as a Stuart Turner range( ½” diameter up to 100lbs) or similar to monitor the fluid pressure in the system as it is activated. I am using water instead of proper fluid as it is only a working model and not expected to perform to any particular specs.

As the Stuart gauges are designed to operate on steam could anyone tell me if it would also work if I connected it to a system full of cold water and still give a relatively accurate reading on what the water pressure is.

Cheers Mick

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Pressure gauge for mini hydraulic system
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 02:20:56 AM »
Pressure is pressure. The bourdon tube type gauges work by the straightening of a curved tube under pressure, and I don't think it makes a jot of a difference if the 'working fluid' is steam, water, oil or anything else. Steam temperature could conceivably make a difference, but as the gauge is at the end of a pipe with no flow it won't actually be anything like as hot as the steam.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 02:29:24 AM »
Hi Mick

What are you making ,,,,,,,looks like a model  unified jacking system  :scratch:

Rob

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 03:55:18 AM »
I know several people that use water for pressure testing high pressure components in industry - adding soluble oil helps no end with seal life in the test pumps and generally preventing corrosion.

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 04:57:43 AM »
Hi and thanks for your feedback. I am making a mini hollow core stressing jack the same as used for strand jacking when heavy lifting and tensioning cables and bars for bridge construction etc.

Adding soluble oil sounds like a good idea I will consider doing that.

Cheers Mick