Author Topic: Dividing head....again  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Pete49

Dividing head....again
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:13:44 AM »
Well I made a start a while ago on my version of the LH Sparey dividing head and as I don't yet have the luxury of casting (nearly there) I used what I had to hand and a welder. As is always the case the mig ran out of gas when all places where closed so out with the cheapy welder. I now remember why I went to mig  :doh: not pretty but strong. I made the nose to suit the my small Russian 3" lathe as the only shaft material I had to hand suited it. Avidly watching Doubleboost with his excellent video version  :clap:which puts me in the rank beginners place  but I guess got to start somewhere.
Anyhow heres some pics of where I'm at for now.
cheers
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Rob.Wilson

Re: Dividing head....again
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Nice going Pete  :thumbup:

Looks like your about 90 percent done  :dremel:

Rob

Offline porker

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 01:00:14 PM »
Thanks for the pics of the fabricated dividing head. I too want to make one but don't have the facilities for casting. Did you find that the welding with mig was going OK as they are pretty big lumps of metal to get good penetration?
My other question is how does mig weld machine down with HSS? Do there tend to be hard spots or is it just like mild steel?

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 05:51:13 PM »
Looks like there are going to be five dividing heads.

Last weekend, I launched into the world of single point thread, so far four "trial" threads in CRS, pretty raged, the last one was nearly workable except that the diameter was way too small from repeated "tests" so I have to start again. I have casting facilities that I haven't used in nearly ten years, as soon as the weather cools down the Al will flow!

Keep em coming!

Regards Matthew

Offline Pete49

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 11:53:11 PM »
Thanks for all the replies . Rob I'm waiting on a pair of MT2 reamers to finish the nose and I need to cut the slots for the hold down bolts. The other obvious change is the lock bolt on the shaft as I didn't have the width to use the Sparey version so drilled & tapped through the top and recessed the shaft there...learnt that lesson the hard way once before.
Porker I didn't make myself too clear with the welder. I had to use my stick welder as I had run out of gas for the MIG but penetration with MIG is just s good as stick welding and I would prefer it due to the better welds I get with it.
Matt I have only recently started single point threading and took a while to get acceptable threads ...and right diam. :lol:
One of my next forays will be to make a thread cutter ala Bogs that lifts on the return. All this because I needed to be able to cut 2 gears for my Upshur farm engine  :doh:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it