Author Topic: Newest (Huge) Project  (Read 8883 times)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Newest (Huge) Project
« on: March 12, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »
I just got a PM from a member asking why I haven't finished my engine, and I thought I'd post this by way of explanation.

Yes, I've embarked on yet another thing to build.  No, it's not another crazy idea (I've had more than my share), and I'm not the one actually building it, so it will be completed.  It's a front porch for the house.  The ground is still frozen here, so it hasn't been started yet.  The natural gas line comes in to the right front, and regulations state that you have to hand dig (no machinery) within 2 feet of a gas line.

Before (when we were painting the house):

Windows have since been replaced with new energy efficient ones (and new trim), and the roof was also done last year.  The tree and all the bushes in the front yard were cut down last summer as well.

After:

This is the rendering I used for obtaining archetectual review board approval late last fall.  It's done in Solidworks.  One thing I specified in the contract was that there was no painting and minimal maintenance.  That means vinyl clad railings and posts, composite decking, aluminum wrapped or vinyl trim.  Gonna cost me almost 20 grand all told.  I'm saving a little by purchasing my own lights (which they will rough in) and doing the demolition (it's fun to break things!).  Sidewalk was demolished (by hand!) last fall, but that's as far as we got before the snow started.  Outside water faucet will have to be relocated, but that's no big deal since I put it in myself.

Building permit has been issued, and I expect the contractor to start digging next week.  I just wanted the crumbling steps fixed, wife wanted a porch.  The things we do for love...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:27:21 PM by rleete »
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Newest (Huge) Project
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:55:45 PM »
20K ? wow.

Built this kitchen extension from the ground up, new footings, raft and brickwork out of reclaimed bricks to match the rest of the house.

Part built up to roof level. We managed to get away with planning as there was an old building on the site of this shape, old wash house etc.
They told us if we knocked it down we would have to apply for new permission and keep up with modern regs so we told them we were knocking it down wall at a time, rebuilding and then doing the next wall.
They didn't like it but stuff it they don't pay the mortgage  ::)

Bit of cheating and this is what it's like now.

I recon it stands me at about 10 K including the new kitchen fittings.

JS.
John Stevenson

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »
Hey Roger, bet you'll get your project done before I get mine done.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 06:17:34 AM »
Bernd

How are those cupboards coming along?   :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »
Bernd

How are those cupboards coming along?   :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Exactly.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :ddb:   :ddb:   :ddb:

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »
Just an update, in case anyone is interested.  Foundation was poured, and construction has started.  There's a single guy doing the work so far, so progress is pretty amazing.  The builder is friendly, polite, and obviously experienced.  He's answered all my questions (including some I suppose are probably painfully obvious), and his attention to details is comforting.

This was taken last night.  Roof structure is going on today.

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 01:12:14 PM »
R,

I suppose it will be great in the summer, but won't it be a bit cold in the winter, with no sides on your new shop :lol:

Joking aside, it is starting to look real tasty. Isn't it a joy when you get a craftsman on the job, rather than cowboys ripping you off.

At least you know that any problems, if any, will only be minor ones when it is all completed.

Keep us posted, so we can imagine being there with you, on the porch swing, on a balmy summers evening, a nice cool brew, and not a care in the world.

Then you hear from inside the house, the boss gently calling, 'when are you going to get up off your butt and put these shelves up'.

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »

Then you hear from inside the house, the boss gently calling, 'when are you going to get up off your butt and put these shelves up'.

Bogs

:lol:        :lol:          :lol:
I hear that same voice coming from upstairs.
 :lol:       :lol:          :lol:
Only mine is "cabinet & shelves.

My remedy? Turn on the table saw and run a piece of wood through it and yell back "I'm working on it"  :ddb:

Works every time.  :clap:

Bernd

Oh ya. Speaking of engines how's that coming along Roger?  :D

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »
Looking good Roger  :thumbup:

Now I have a question.... Was one of your questions " Are you going to leave those diagonal bits in? "  ?

That's the kind of fun questions I get from my customers :lol:  (even an electricians apprentice at the fit I was on today thought the bracing was to be left 2" off the floor and that a car would have to drive over it!!!?  :doh: )

Now I've also noticed.... It ain't arf changed since the first photo!!!  :bugeye: 

Update in a week or so then?  :)

Oh and, hell of a pad you got there JS  :bugeye:   :thumbup:         I wouldn't dare show piccys of the state of mine..... It'll have you all either laughing or crying.... Probably both!!

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 01:30:43 AM »
Very Cool!

Looks like tis gonna be nice to have!

:thumbup:
SPiN Racing

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:56:05 PM »
Well, the porch project is mostly done now.  The basic structure is complete and usable.  Final picture:

There's still some painting to be done, and I have to rehang the shutters.  I also have yet to hook up the outside faucet to the plumbing, and plan to install some covered electrical outlets.  Where you see the wooden beam underneath the step has been dug out (by hand!) for a poured concrete pad.  After digging - which left me feeling nearly crippled - I came down with a nasty case of bronchitis, which has kept me from doing much more than lying in bed for the past week or so.  From the pad will be a sidewalk extending to the driveway.  After that it's on to fixing the yard, planting some flowers and making it look more presentable.  Porch furniture (another bite out of the wallet!) was ordered last week, and we expect it to be delivered any day now.  It's white wicker looking resin, which is supposed to stand up to the elements.

If any of you happen to be in the upstate NY area, feel free to stop over and enjoy a cold one with me!

Offline kvom

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »
It looks as if you did a good job of finding roof shingles to match.  That can be the hardest part of an addition.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 01:12:50 PM »
Well, the porch project is mostly done now.  The basic structure is complete and usable. 

If any of you happen to be in the upstate NY area, feel free to stop over and enjoy a cold one with me!

Well now I guess I'll just have to invite myself one of these days for a cold one. Keep that calendar open.  :ddb:

Bernd

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
Kvom, roof was done just shy of 2 years ago.  So, same brand, style and color match were no problem.  I actually specified it all on the drawing.

Bernd, any time.