Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4701 times)

Offline RossJarvis

Hello
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Hello all!

A friend of mine, PeteW has shown me this site and I thought I'd join up as we share common interests.  Well, I helped him dismantle the shed he is currently mantling (or is that remantling?).  Maybe I can remember where we lost all the fastenings?

I am currently employed as an instructor teaching people how to make iron filings and swarf in a college on the south coast (or at least I was until they gave me too much to do and I went off sick).  So I have some experience in turning and fitting and a bit of basic knowledge on a Bridgeport vertical mill (which uses Imperial measurements, not those Godless French millipedes).

I would say I'm a bit of a bodger as I also have City & Guilds Carpentry & Joinery on top of the Turning, Fitting and CAD quals, but that probably does a disservice to the fine skills of a decent Bodger.

Currently about to build a timber framed log store for the lady next door, but that may be off topic for this site.
Procrastination; now is that an art or a craft skill?

Offline Pete W.

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
Hello all!

SNIP 

Well, I helped him dismantle the shed he is currently mantling (or is that remantling?).  Maybe I can remember where we lost all the fastenings?

SNIP

Hi there, Ross, and welcome.

We didn't lose any of the fastenings, we put them in an empty ice cream container that then got stacked with all the other ice cream containers!   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »
Hi Ross,
                   Welcome to MadModder look forward to reading your post, imperial or metric.

Cheers David

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:39:17 PM »
I agree if they decided to keep the King's english they should have kept his ruler imperial too!! 
Welcome!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »
Hi Ross.  :wave:

Welcome to the Collective!  :borg:

You're a bit of a bodger? So am I.  :thumbup:

Just about everyone here, fits that description........  :smart:

Join in. Enjoy!  :)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 05:15:29 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

This weeks project is a new log store for the neighbour.  Here is Mark 1 which I made about 3 years ago for our house;

It's mainly 2" square pine, with 3" board for the rafters and batten for laying the shingles, which are feather board.  The joints are mainly lap joints with a couple of blind mortice and tenons.  The "floor" is a bit of fencing I had left over from the veggie patch.

I want to do the next one with all traditional mortice and tenons, pegged with dowels.  I'm not sure whether to chop the mortices by hand or unpack the bench morticer from the outhouse (assuming I can find it and dig it out from under the accumulation of other necessary tools!).  I need to rethink the shingles to make them more robust and make slightly less of a hash of all the joints,

I said I'd start tomorrow, but have just remembered I have left tool boxes 1 & 2 in the boot of someone's car who I think has just gone on holiday.  This leaves me two planes down and without my combi' square.  I've also lent my transformer to another friend which means the hand planer is now out of use.  I'm assuming tool box 3 has enough planes and chisels and have remembered that I forgot to resharpen my irons and chisels.

Tonight I'll see what the local wood merchant has in stock and see how well I can pretend to know what I'm doing tomorrow.

I presume I should then move to the wood butchery section of this site to recount the tales of woe during the week :hammer:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:10:45 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 07:57:10 PM »
Thanks krv3000.

I've opened a thread in the wood and stuff section for anyone interested in the log store.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 11:31:35 PM »
wellcome, we are pretty motley grew :)

I personally don't get the chicken foot pound measurements with all of fudge factors on science or engineering, but if anybody want's to use it on construction or any other brutalist field - fine with me.

Pekka

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 02:48:23 AM »
When I'm in the metal workshop, millipedes seem a fine way of measuring  :thumbup: particularly when going down to .01mm and so on.  However, when it comes to wood and bricks the Mighty inch rules, particularly with the quick ability to work in thirds and quarters etc.

I think the Chicken Foot Pound must be a brilliant measure of torque, must be an aeronautical unit :headbang:

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:38 AM »
OK 1:1  :lol:

I still quote 2*4 when I go lumberyard, even tought it has been pahsed out least 30 years ago :thumbup:

Anyway when I pick up 2*4 off the car no one come and try give me any grief. Just think how bad it would sounds if I were to say "You gona get a swing at 50*100 mm" :headbang:

Likevice when people quote clearances and fits in iperial units I don't have a foggiest idea. Probably it's a matter of getting used to one system.

PekkaNF

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
When I'm in the metal workshop, I think in millimetres and decimal (apart from on the mill when I have to convert to imperial decimal).  When doing carpentry I think in inches and fractions (duodecimal?).

I've just been down the wood yard with two cutting lists, one in inches, one in meters.  All their sizes are now metric(ish). You can imagine the fun I had trying to work that out as I had to cut to size myself.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
Hiya Ross,

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 09:27:26 AM »
Hi Ros
              Welcome to the forum, it's a change to have guys working with timber. When we first decimalised I went down to the local ironmongers for some timber,  and asked for some 2x1 inch timber.  The owner was quick to correct me and replied it's all 50x25 now mate.  Ok I said,  give me four metres.  He replied we only stock 6ft lengths.

Cheers David