Author Topic: Engine turning  (Read 6004 times)

Offline ieezitin

Engine turning
« on: August 16, 2014, 09:02:41 AM »
Hello

Does any of you out there have any suggestions on what to use for an engine turning tip/end tool, and any knowledge on speeds of the quill and lubricant.

Thanks in advance

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline chipenter

Re: Engine turning
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »
Google rose engine guilloche http://rgmwatches.com/about_rgm/engine_turning.php realy slow 1 rpm is a bit to fast , standard tool angles for the metal being cut .
Jeff

Offline fcheslop

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »
I tend to use wet and dry 800 grit simply glued onto a bit of nylon bar
Keep the pressure and time constant and use plenty of wd40.Its a messy slow job.

Not the best Iv done
cheers
History is scarcely capable of preserving the memory of anything except myths

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »
Cut a round "plug" from a fine grade Garryflex block to fit in a suitable holder. I was told it lasts ages and gives a consistent finish but I've only done tests with it myself so far!

http://www.axminster.co.uk/garryflex-abrasive-cleaning-block

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:57:51 AM »
Engine Turning....try: CRAYTEX ABRASIVES....for a complete line of discs, cones, points, etc.  They sell various diameter rubberized, abrasive rods which can be sliced into small sections, glued into a homemade holder and then chucked into a drill press.  Press the abrasive point into the work, creating a circular swirl pattern.  Locate the work on top of a paper lined with a measured grid system to advance the work by precisely measured amounts under the point to keep the pattern from getting sloppy.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 09:20:35 AM »
Chipenter.

Excellent site, i watched the video that machine and what it produces is truly wonderful.

Fcheslop

Nice job you done..  did you polish the aluminum plate first before you etched it and what RPM did you go?

Arbalist.

i will try that thanks...

Bronxfigs

That's exactly what i was looking for, i was using a pencil eraser and was working ok but was  too small a diameter, this product is an actual abrasive just the ticket.

to all:
I get the pressure applied over the same amount of time but still clueless on the speed of the spindle.

Thanks to all

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »
Here is a project that I did a few years ago. I used a leather disk glued to the end of a piece of 3/4" round stock. One end was turned to 3/8" to fit in a small drill press. The other end was counter bored to ensure that the leather pad would not "walk" during use. The abrasive I used was fine grade valve grinding compound.

Offline fcheslop

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 05:48:14 PM »
Hi, the base was simply cleaned up using 600 grit wet n dry to remove any marks. The rod is 1inch dia and ran the mill at about 800 rpm. The pattern is just the simple four spot then over lapped exactly 1/2 the dia
The polishing rod had some 800 grit wet n dry simply super glued onto it. Keep the plate well flooded I use WD40 or Duck oil
Its a slow boring job :bang:
cheers
History is scarcely capable of preserving the memory of anything except myths