Author Topic: The show season and getting ourselves known  (Read 21701 times)

bogstandard

The show season and getting ourselves known
« on: March 13, 2009, 12:43:16 AM »
It seems, now that Saturday is the favourite day, a few of us Redcoats will be attending the Harrogate show in May.

What about getting a bit of advertising sorted.

Has anyone come up with any ideas for a Madmodders logo?

Then just a bit of paper with piccy and web address (and even maybe a few phone numbers). Someone like Peter in his chair giving out the flyers, with Ralph standing behind with a baseball bat, to assist the recipients put them in a safe place for future perusal.

Maybe the Colonials could do the same sort of thing at their upcoming shows. It just might attract a few of the loners to join us in our search for enlightenment.

Give them to a few retailers, you never know, they just might give the members a little bit of a discount if we review a few of their products that are purchased at the shows.

The site is now starting to fly, and our collective is growing by the day, so a bit of advertising will do us no harm.

Also, if Eric manages to sort out a dedicated server, we will need a headline banner for that.

Unless you want to get one of my C-o-C's for a logo, lets see what you can come up with. Get yourself up in lights.

Plain, simple, and easy on the eye. Too complicated means too much trouble to read.

Organic seems to be the in thing at the moment.

If you can get this right, as promised, I will be making a very special finger engine, hopefully before Christmas.

Bogs
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:55:47 AM by bogstandard »

ja2on

Re: The show season and getting ourselves known
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 06:04:26 PM »
John what do you mean by "organic" do you have an example ?

EDIT here is a few quickies

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:20:10 PM by ja2on »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »
My wife does the marketing for a very large tool website, so I am going to hit her graphics guy up for a logo. I have been planning on doing T-shirts up for the guys going to shows and such. We started to grow much quicker than I anticipated.

She has a lot of ideas in the works for us...

John... no ass kissing here, but glad you got my back!

And that goes for everyone else too! I did a search for madmodder.net the other day and it was popping up in other forums and such (Ralph, John & Darren).

Thanks Guys

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 08:45:38 PM »
As I was saying, organic is in at the moment.

Art nouveau.

It is not up to me to decide anyway, but I thought of getting away from the normal 'mechanical' type logos to something that looks like it is growing and merging into a whole. Different from the norm

I have already sent Steve an idea, when eventually he picks himself up off the floor after seeing it, maybe he could comment on whether it is feasible or not, then let the members decide.

Bogs

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 04:27:07 AM »
As I have no decernable artistic or grafical type tallent I can't contribute except to say I like or don't like when things come onto my screen...

That said firstly,  I admire your speed Jason!!!  :bugeye: Secondly,  if Eric does Tshirts then that's a perfectly good logo to put on the back.... Maybe just the cogs in a light colour then the name in the darker... No box around them? I'd wear it!    (Black and in large!!!  :lol:  )
I don't think the cool spinning one will work on tshirts... Well not yet! :)

Organic.... Carrots, potatoes??? or pansies!!!!!  :lol:    Or should I be laughing after reading this???

I have already sent Steve an idea, when eventually he picks himself up off the floor after seeing it, maybe he could comment on whether it is feasible or not, then let the members decide.
   :lol:

Can't wait.....

I want to see all other input too, this is a fun idea  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 05:09:18 AM »
Now it is starting to get mobile, I will drop a spanner in the works.

THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE AN ENGINEERING SITE.

Even though we seemed to have gone along the route of engineering, it is a forum for projects and ideas, anything from origami to heavy metal. So it has to be totally neutral themed.

Steve has already come up with a great idea, and as soon as he gets the engineering text dropped from it I think it would appeal to all.

I will show you my scrawl to give you an idea, and please remember, this was just a quickie idea. It represents Madmodders evolving.

Methinks this morphine is giving me wierd ideas. Bring back flower power.

Bogs

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 06:26:43 AM »

How about

Madmodders Do it in the shed

Peter

:ddb:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:28:15 AM by HS93 »
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 06:44:11 AM »

it is a forum for projects and ideas, anything from origami to heavy metal. So it has to be totally neutral themed.

Bogs

Anyone know the tapping size for a 6/7 noodle  ??

JS.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 07:28:38 AM »

Look who's talking  :lol:

No, don't stop.... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: Pleaaaassseee...... :poke:

Having been an instigator of a couple of previous forums with a high degree of control it has become clear to me that they will take on the direction of the members that participate.
There is nothing one can do to guide it in any particular direction. Try and people just leave and usually the forum suffers as a result.

As they say, "it will be what it will be" or however the saying goes.

Besides, this is a great forum, in my view one of the greatest around. Great bunch of chaps and great participation...... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 08:18:04 AM »
Nice one John,

Would that be Chinese or Thai? :lol:

Darren,

I know what you are on about, but I was suggesting trying to keep it like Eric originally envisioned. If he is happy that it goes engineering orientated, then we should be happy as well.

Don't worry, I like it here as well, no background backstabbing is just how I like it. Everyone helping each other, and if we can make it fun at the same time, what more is required?

I realise a lot of it is my fault, and I told Eric that it would be a risk when I joined, posting as I do about engineering. One person shouldn't make a forum. It should all be about input from the newbiest of newbies, to the fartiest of the old farts, and everthing in between.

In fact, I have had only recently, correspondence from a model boat site admin, asking why I wasn't posting as much. I had noticed that it was getting very overloaded with model engineering types, and I told him to wait a while, until it died down a bit, then I would resume in my normal background mode for that site, helping with their little mechanical problems with the odd engine build, in keeping with the site.

Us engineering types can very easily swamp a site, and so drive the normal members away. We are OK in reasonable doses, but we shouldn't choke the patient.

Bogs

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »
Well.... I have some more observations....

John, There is no "s" on the end of the name.... It could confuse people trying to find the site  :)

The welcome note states....
"This is a place for those who like to build, craft or modify anything and everything can gather. We are going to take our cues from the famous HMEM model engine site. I want this to be a place that fosters ideas and learning... plus a good place to show off your talents and skills."
(Should there be a "we" or a "they" in there? just after everything. )

So that does leave it quite open for most anything. But it does also say about the cues from a "machinists" forum!  Though I have no issue with anything that anyone designs, creates or builds. I like to see what others can do, be it animation to helicopter building it's all interesting  :thumbup:

Perhaps I should invite my mother to join.... She crafts all sorts of little items as gifts etc..... But then again!  :wack:  Maybe not..... I might just post the pic's!

So Tshirt designs..... That should incorperate everything that is encompassed in that welcome.... Good luck!!!  :bugeye:

I do know I'd rather wear something with gears on than a flower power rambling rose thingy (sorry John)  just my opinion!

I believe a whole bucket of worms have been turned out here!

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 03:17:48 PM »
I believe a whole bucket of worms have been turned out here!

That is one thing that must be avoided Ralph. But the worms would definitely look like Art Nouveau. :lol:

My suggestion was only a scrawl to get things moving, and it wasn't really a contender to start with.

The topic should be whether the site should be engineering orientated or neutrally based, and of course, that is Eric's decision alone.

John

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 05:41:48 PM »
Here we go again... trying to force kittens to grow inside glass jars. (go ahead...google it...dare ya) A forum defines itself as it goes along.... whether it's an engineering forum or Dominatrix Grannnies. It simply is what it is. quit quibbling over how to define it and let it be what it is going to be.

The art work John mentioned took very little time when compared to the time I spent trying to define a forum that has no defined limits. I chose the word engineering because the name Seinfeld was already taken by some dumb assed comic on TV. Give me a better definition and I'll plug it in, but until someone can do so....it's getting spelled INJINEARING.

John...
We've already seen that one monkey don't stop no show. Sit down, present your ticket to the nice man and enjoy the ride. It's Eric's job to drive this train and he gets to call it whatever he wants to call it... You're an important part of the experience, but stop trying to take credit for what ALL of us have helped to create. Indianearing ain't no bad word.

The attached image is the sample I sent to John last night.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:45:43 PM by cedge »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »

The welcome note states....
"This is a place for those who like to build, craft or modify anything and everything can gather. We are going to take our cues from the famous HMEM model engine site. I want this to be a place that fosters ideas and learning... plus a good place to show off your talents and skills."
(Should there be a "we" or a "they" in there? just after everything. )

So that does leave it quite open for most anything. But it does also say about the cues from a "machinists" forum!  Though I have no issue with anything that anyone designs, creates or builds. I like to see what others can do, be it animation to helicopter building it's all interesting  :thumbup:

I am going to re-write that. I primarily meant we would be taking the cues for a place that fosters ideas and learning... not as much as an engineering site. I was trying to get some of the atmosphere, not so much as the forum subject.

Eric
Science is fun.

bogstandard

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 10:30:40 PM »
Steve,

Slight resentment at your comment

It's Eric's job to drive this train and he gets to call it whatever he wants to call it...

As it looks like that I already had that call, not once, but twice.

I know what you are on about, but I was suggesting trying to keep it like Eric originally envisioned. If he is happy that it goes engineering orientated, then we should be happy as well.

The topic should be whether the site should be engineering orientated or neutrally based, and of course, that is Eric's decision alone.

But this quote was totally uncalled for

but stop trying to take credit for what ALL of us have helped to create

As far as I am concerned, I am assisting in the only way I know. Helping as much as possible. If that is how it looks to you, then I will not assist and do as you say,
Sit down, present your ticket to the nice man and enjoy the ride.

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 10:40:16 PM »
John... Steve...

You guys are friends. You are both my friends. So, let's have a smoke\drink (I am pretty sure all 3 of us do)... laugh and carry on. Ok?  :med:

Now on that note... let's laugh at the nana:

:ddb:

I will take any and all advice, criticism and ideas for this place. I may not use them but, I will listen. So keep them coming.

Eric

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:42:12 PM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 11:34:38 PM »
John
Nothing bleeding, so get over it and drive on.

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 11:57:28 PM »
Sorry bleeding too much this time, and I can't drive any more.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 12:07:52 AM »
Proceed John...
I'm not staying around and watching this happen again. I'm outta here.

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 12:45:12 AM »
Steve,

I will not stand still while being stabbed in the back for being too helpful. Then told I should forget it.

A tugged forelock and a quick apology would put the world to rights. As I do when I realise I am in the wrong.

If you think you are still in the right, then your direction can only be the way you choose.

But no way will I take the blame for your actions. I didn't instigate the start of this little fracas, and the decision will be all yours.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 05:26:39 AM »
 :jaw:

John started this started off as a healthy debate / brainstorm of ideas. I'm shocked by some of the things you've said there Steve, it's as if you did that deliberately to cause an argument, and in my opinion, the way your attitude comes across in your posts stinks.

Nick

bogstandard

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 07:11:06 AM »
Please leave it Nick, I know you mean well.

Both Steve and myself have very stubborn streaks. We are like chalk and cheese at times, but I hope our long time friendship goes a lot deeper.

Give it a while, when we have both settled down, things will be calm again. Hopefully like nothing had happened.

John

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 10:56:38 AM »

NickG
My apologies to the board for my comments that would have been best made on the private message system. Lacking context, my words do indeed appear to be way out of line, especially on the public side of the forum. Since nothing ever happens in a vacuum, it's best that I leave the context to history and simply mind my own business.   :bang:

John...
The friendship survives, but freedom to disagree is an essential part of that. You've never made my decisions, so sleep in peace.   :med:

Steve

Offline Serveta150

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »
Sergeant Kiljoy here, of the North Yorkshire Light Drag-ons

Being unacustomed (as I am) to making speeches, I would have reservations about Pigeon-holing myself by wearing a T-Shirt with a Logo that implies "Hey evereyone, I'm a member of Madmodder". Quite honestly, a group of say 10 + 2 (One Dozen) all togged-up in this way might come over as a bit pretentious to others. Anyway, the "Gears" logo is too similar to that of the Vespa (Scooter) Owners Club. Enough said.

I do not feel that Madmodder needs this type of presentation for it to continue and/or accelerate it's success. Were it to become too successful, it might end-up being spoiled.

Salutations, Paul

bogstandard

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »
Steve,

Sleeping well, but with one eye partially open.

Paul,

Were it to become too successful, it might end-up being spoiled.

My personal view is that Madmodder, because of the unique type of content, will always have a fairly large turnover of active members, all because it is based around a multitude of different types of projects.

Projects finish, and the member has no more interest, so disappears, then you have the dreamer projectologist, who has a dream of making something, gets fed up and again disappears. Then of course you have the general interest lookers, who after a time, pass thru the phase and goes in search for other pursuits.

I don't know if anyone has the figures, but I think you will find, there is a core group of people, who will stay around permanently, and of the other members, I think there is a large number having no interest after say six months, moving on to pastures new.

So really when it all boils down to it, even though it looks like the forum is growing at a very healthy rate, we are also reducing in active members at the same time.

Going by the numbers you see on other sites, say 30K+ members, if they were all active it would take you a week just to make a post, as the forum would be in massive turmoil continuously. But it very rarely happens that way.

You see some of the older sites having many thousands of members, but only one or two new posts each week. A sure sign that most registered members are long gone, and the core members are talking to themselves.

So in my view, advertising is required to keep us above the attrition rate.

I for one don't like talking to myself (I tend to answer back).

Of course these are my thoughts, and Paul has raised a very valid issue.

Has anyone else got anything constructive to say about whether we should be advertising or not?

John