Author Topic: Bottle cutting.  (Read 5420 times)

Offline John Lindo

Bottle cutting.
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:01:55 AM »
Thought I might share this little project I got involved with.
I was asked if i could cut the ends of some EMPTY bottles to eventually they get put in a frame as a picture.
I knew about ebay bottle cutters,G3 and I did not want to pay for a one time use.
I have incorporated tooling I've made in the past,soft jaws,swinging tool holder,spring loaded center,hand crank and a tile cutter from a slider type
machine.
As the bottles were not concentric,I ran the machine backwards using my hand crank,it lifted up and down the swinging toolholder
but with a gentle hand pressure I got a score line all the way round.
After that,dunk the bottle in a pan of boiling water,and then immediately into a bowl of water and ice.They crack off straight away.
I have 50 bottles, all empty to do,and as I live in a Spanish village,money does not really talk,we barter,so 2 x six packs of local wine (full) will be OK.
Hope it's of interest.I do not drink to much beer.but local red wine without chemicals is the best health wise.
Also,as I have an AXA toolholder (glad I did) so I made up support arms for more rigidity and added a compound slide lock at the same time.
< https://plus.google.com/photos/112848589944601328801/albums/5914610212346097633 >
Hope the bottle project is of interest,and the photo link works
Regards
John
Spain.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Bottle cutting.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 03:01:46 AM »
Interesting project and nice photos.

Bizarrely I have no need to do this but I spent a while last week watching videos on how to do this. Quite a few seemed to suggest you got a better finish with less of a shock - just using hot and cold rather than boiling and icy water. Dunno how true it is but may be worth checking out!

What exactly are they being used for? - art??

Offline John Lindo

Re: Bottle cutting.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »
The idea is to create behind a false antique wooden window( with iron bars) a wine storage rack.
The window will look like a typical Spanish window with bars.
called Reccas.The idea of reccas many centuries ago was to keep the young girls in the house,nothing to do with stopping thieves getting in.
When the girls reached puberty they always had a chaperon with them and locally here married a cousin.
Beware of thinning blood.The Czars of Russia sorted that one out.Ouch.
I live in a crazy, but fantastic village.
When the project is finished I will send photo's.But not of the girls. :Doh:

John
Spain.