Author Topic: a nuther D.T.I refit  (Read 4801 times)

Offline krv3000

a nuther D.T.I refit
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:45:31 PM »
hi all well this one was a challenge its one of the worst ones i have ever dun its a mercer metric thees are rather awqed to dis mantel as you need to go in from the front remove the retaining ring for the lens then remove the lens then remove the mane pointer then remove the outer chapter ring then you will see three retaining screws that hold the movement in and also the Bessel it self once the screws are out you need to remove the back plate of the movement for it to cum out then you can remove the fittings on the rack to remove that watt the problem was you will see in the pic that the gear that the rack drives all but a few of its teeth where missing and the rack was badly damaged  had a rummage i had a mercer in inch but its balance spring was foooked but thr gear was the same but the bottom one was not so i had to mack a punch and block to remove the gear from that one and to remove the broken one i had too skim dawn the shaft of the new one to fit the old one once this was dun i direst the rack off with a file then put it all back together right pics

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: a nuther D.T.I refit
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 07:22:30 PM »
Bob

I don't know how you do it but you do a dam fine job of fixing them up.  :med:

I swear that if someone gave you a handfull metal swarf and told you it was a DTI you would make a DTI out of it.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline micktoon

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:25:22 PM »
Ditto waht Don has said Bob , I know from them photos if I had that in that state on my bench it would never work again for sure ..................... keep up the good work Bob  :clap:

Cheers Mick.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 08:05:55 PM »
Always fun to watch you make new from old, Bob.  Because of you I bought an old DTI a few months ago and will try to make it more presentable, just for the heck of trying to do it like Bob.  :thumbup: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:07:14 PM »
Bob

I can not wait, I know it will be extra  nice. I'm setting on the edge of my seat.

Cheers
Nelson Collar

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 04:56:55 PM »
hi well its up and working i will post a pic of it complet