Author Topic: Yahoo  (Read 5538 times)

Offline unc1esteve

Yahoo
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »
Yahoo has just introduced a new look, format for its groups, something called NEO?.  I happen to be one of the lucky randomly selected members.  They asked no one, they just did it.  There is no way to opt out.  It stinks.  Instead of the group picture of the tool we now have a picture of out of focus, colored spheres.  On another site the tool was replaced with with yarn and cloth, on another it was beads.  Very artsy.  And yes, we now have advertising. 

I finally got through to a real, live, breathing human being at Yahoo.  After cutting him off from his prepared explanation about new cars and great options,  he did tell me that this is the new look for Yahoo but Yahoo would put my account back to the old format for only $69.99.

It is not broken but it needs to be fixed, do not tell anyone what you are doing, do not give them a way out and then charge a gazillion dollars to stop.

Oh, by the way, it is confusing and does not work very well.  I am going to close my account.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Re: Yahoo
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:36:04 PM »
Doesn't sound good. Is there an alternative to yahoo groups? I'm a member of a bunch, and enjoy most of them for the free sharing of info on my intrests.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 02:31:11 PM »
It seems only a few people worldwide are affected for now.  But I bet your turn is coming.  Why would they keep the old format when the new one has advertising?  This thing is just getting started.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 02:41:51 PM »
Hi guys...

I've been a member of a number of yahoo groups for some time now but I haven't used it in months - the format and layout is so outdated it is untrue! I wish they would post each group in a forum layout, even if it was just one continuous forum for each group but with answers embedded with each thread. So much info on each group but it is seriously outdated.

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »
This is about Yahoo changing to a new system without any advance notice or warning, or even asking for approval.  Then having a program in place to extort $69.99 from people like me that did not ask for the changes. 
It is called extortion.

I am sure they have calculated the cost of losing people like me against the advertising.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »
This is about Yahoo changing to a new system without any advance notice or warning, or even asking for approval.  Then having a program in place to extort $69.99 from people like me that did not ask for the changes. 
It is called extortion.

Sorry, it's not called "extortion". It could be called "How to alienate your users and make them mad". Extortion means extracting money with menaces. Yahoo isn't menacing anyone.

And, if you don't believe me, check out the contract you signed when you joined up. Yes, you did sign it, it's called the T&Cs. You probably did what most people do, and just clicked the irritating box without reading the irritating legalese. And if you did, well, tough. Because the T&Cs allow Yahoo do do what the hell they like to their systems, when the hell they want to.

Sorry about that.

Meantime... if you & fellow members of your group feel sufficiently strongly about the change in layout; then why not set up a forum of your own, to cover the subject area? It's not particularly hard to do, nor particularly expensive (but it's not free either...).
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Country Bubba

• LaGrange, GA USA
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »
As a moderator on several groups, I say it SUX big time.  On one of the groups in particular, Yahoo decides some people are spammers and dumps their post in the spam box. In the old format, as a moderator, I could evaluate the post and if I deemed it not to be spam, approve it for posting in the group.
NOT NOW, the ONLY one that can do that is the group owner!  As moderator, I can either delete the message or reply to it!  Now what kind of sense does that make???? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Art
Country Bubba

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
OK - I'm not up for a debate over the net right now but it was so outdated that it had lost a lot of users anyway!! I for one haven't used any of my groups in months. I feel your pain if it is really that bad but I'm pretty sure Yahoo don't need to ask for anyone's permission to make changes to their site. At least they are trying to evolve! Hopefully they will restore back to the old yahoo style of enough people complain. The new system seems to be getting a slamming from quite a few others on the net,

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 06:24:55 PM »
AdeV,
I guess you are correct.  Where I live the only internet provider is AT&T through old existing hard phone lines.   My email address is Removed by a Mod to protect privacy
I clicked on the agreement for AT&T.  It appears that the actual internet connection is provided by Yahoo.  This is the end of my internet knowledge.  It may not be extortion.  But when an employee of Yahoo tells me that I can get back what they have taken away for money, I first think of the word extortion.   It is like the government.  It needed to be done, it is only just a little bit,  At least they are doing something.  It could be worse.  It seems that this bothers only several people like myself.

I enjoy keeping up with other people that have the same interest as I do.  Guess I will have to find another way.  After all, they can do whatever they want.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:17:21 AM by spuddevans »

Offline chipenter

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
The changes to mine mean that I can now access other groups , and find my way back without going through history , which was a pain .
Jeff