Author Topic: Critique my patterns, please  (Read 5434 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Critique my patterns, please
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
I'm building patterns for 3 tools I need/want. The tools are a follower/traveling rest and steady rest for my 7x lathe, and the body and banjo for the L.H. Sparey Dividing Head.
Please look at my patterns and offer any advise/criticism as appropriate. No draft has been applied yet to any of them. Do I need it? Do they need to be split?
 Pic's here: http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/patterns
 Thanks,
 Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: Critique my patterns, please
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:07:18 AM »
My Critique would be that the images is so damn small one cannot see the details without dropping the resolution on my computer screen..   :offtopic:
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline RussellT

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:02:18 AM »
I think the images are fine - I got them to 2,048px × 1,536px with a couple of clicks.

As far as the patterns go, I'm sure someone more knowledgable on casting will comment but I'd think about making the fixed steady in two parts so that it's easier to put the work in.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:34:15 PM »
how? i cant even click em. *weird* do i need to be logged in or something?
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »
I'll try to attach the pics.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »
No problem with the images.

I'm no expert, but I do have some patterning and casting under my belt.  They look fine to me.  It doesn't take that much time to try out your patterns in the sand to see how well they come out - as that's what the draft is for.  If they don't come out well, you simply add some material where it needs to be.

Don't expect or require them to be perfect.  It's a one time (or very few) thing, so just do what needs done and keep things moving along. :)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »
Chuck

Here is a link to a "how to resize your photo's" tutorial. http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,4735.msg52263.html#msg52263

Smaller images of 800 x 600 result in a picture that fills the screen not overflowin the screen. This applies to both photo bucket or attaching the photos.

The end result is that the pictures are easier to see so more people will look at them and you get a better chance of having someone giving you helpful hints.

If you need a hand, just ask, I'll be glad to help.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

edit: Added text
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »
No problem with the images.

I'm no expert, but I do have some patterning and casting under my belt.  They look fine to me.  It doesn't take that much time to try out your patterns in the sand to see how well they come out - as that's what the draft is for.  If they don't come out well, you simply add some material where it needs to be.

Don't expect or require them to be perfect.  It's a one time (or very few) thing, so just do what needs done and keep things moving along. :)
LOL, if they're perfect, I didn't make 'em! I want them to work, not win a beaty contest! Thanks for all the comments, folks.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN