Author Topic: Hello from Southport  (Read 5065 times)

Offline roadrunner

Hello from Southport
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
Hi All,

Thought I would just introduce myself!
I am John from Southport. That's the one in Merseyside UK not the US one.

These days I make a living in techie computer stuff! but I have a sound engineering background. I ran a garage and recovery business some years ago.

I owe my appearance on this forum and a large hole in my wallet, to Doubleboost, as I started watching Johns youtube videos and thought I have to get back to some serious fettling! I bought a Boxford AUD lathe (Fantastic but much too small) that led to more attachments and tooling, then a Myford VMC Mill. etc etc - hence large hole in wallet and vengeful wife!

I am fortunate to have a large garage with an even larger extension! overall its 22 feet wide by a little over 60 feet long. You'd think that would be plenty of room .... it isn't I  have too much stuff and it is more often than not cluttered and messy. I do have a tidy mind, really I do  :D
The back end is office where I do my computer stuff. I have a kitchen and bathroom in there, cable tv and 100meg broadband, so it's no hardship to spend a long time out there. I also have a pinball machine and two "bandits" in the office... more distractions.

My hobbies are sadly all expensive, Drag racing (cars, nothing to do with dressing up in womens clothes) Flying, power boating, Scuba diving pretty much anything loud, fast and that gets the old adrenaline flowing!

The Myford mill is a 624 rather than a 626 but is a really nice piece of kit in great condition. I currently have it stripped down to scrape the ways and convert to CNC - you have to don't you?

At the moment my bench is taken up with a ratcliffe tail lift which I am reconditioning to fit onto my Convoy - be great for collecting more heavy kit!

I will try and add some pictures of my "shed" but I tried this once before and lost the whole post (I think pics were too big). When I dig some photos out I will post some of work in progress.

Next on the agenda is making myself a furnace (haven't done that in 20yrs) anyone on here got any recommendations on what works for you, long term?
I mostly will be doing bronze and ali but will want to have a go at iron! what's opinion on refactory, crucibles etc ?

all the best

John

Offline John Rudd

Re: Hello from Southport
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
Beep beep!!

Welcome to the madhouse......... :clap:

Like your 'shed'... :thumbup:

Look forward to seeing some of your handywork :dremel:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
Hi John, welcome! Casting is a wide field with lots of furnace construction alternatives -- the one you eventually choose will naturally be the best! :)

:beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline roadrunner

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:46:38 AM »
Wow there are people on here at this time of day. I'm not the only one with time on his hands!
John - Wish I could get my wife to finance me, cant even get her to bring me a cup of tea! and she isn't at all impressed with me "wasting money on more tools"
vtsteam - of course, everything I do is always the best :clap: I was considering the old propane bottle lined with 1600c refactory and a propane burner, although I have been researching the waste oil burners. What do you use?

Picture of my lathe added - You can just make out a 355ci Chevy smallblock to the right of it, sorry for the mess!
it gets tidy for a short while, then messy then tidy sadly always messy when there is a camera handy.

Just thought I would mention why I said the Boxford was too small. I narrow axles, usually from large american saloon cars to fit large wheels inside the bodies or small european cars! the 24 inch centre is challenging for that and also the spindle bore is too small to pass a half shaft through. I can get by using steady rests and removing the tailstock but it is less than ideal.  Also being linked belt drive it is all to easy to slow it down when getting enthusiastic with the cut.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:18:55 AM by roadrunner »

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:29:57 PM »
Hi
John
Pleased to have you on board
John

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »
Hi John

Welcome to MadModder. It certainly looks like you have enough room for when you catch  :proj:. Note, I said when, not if. You certainly seem to have a good variety of interests to keep you from getting bored.

Nice to see that you have hot and cold running water in the dog house just in case you ever need it.  :lol: :lol:

We look forward to your participation in the various forums.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »
vtsteam - of course, everything I do is always the best :clap: I was considering the old propane bottle lined with 1600c refactory and a propane burner, although I have been researching the waste oil burners. What do you use?

Waste oil/diesel fuel -- mine is in the "Metal Stuff" section of the forum. But mine might not be the "best" in fact I'm sure it isn't. But fun and interesting as a first iron furnace, built at especially low cost from what was at hand. My biggest regret -- an inch or two more bore would have made a great difference.

I'm thinking of giving mine one more shot as a cupola, also, since I can get anthracite coal. I've been reading up on the history of anthracite iron and might give it a shot before the snowy season.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 02:07:50 AM »
Hi John.  :wave:

Welcome to the Collective. :borg:

With your credentials..... You'll fit in, nicely!  :thumbup:

Join in. Enjoy......  :)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 06:04:22 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Hi John

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Sounds like you will fit in perfectly.

What kind of techie stuff do you do? I am one of those as well.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:49:26 AM »
Welcome from the great south land.

I could tell it wasn't the Southport in Queensland coz the grass is green and that's not a snake basking on it.

Jim

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 04:58:27 AM »
Hi John

Welcome and good luck with the VMC.

Cheers David